Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background....

2012 JKUR
Rancho 4" sport lift, trackbar relocation bracket & 9000XL shocks
36" Irok's

I started experiencing death wobble (infrequently) a few weeks ago. As it turns out the steering stabilizer was defective. However if I leave the steering stabilizer off I get death wobble as soon as I go over any bumps. Wheels and tires were road force balanced and all suspension components were checked and torqued.

The service mgr at the dealership that I bought the vehicle from stated that you cannot drive a lifted JK without a steering stabilizer. He put a new stabilizer on to resolve the issue. However I can still feel the steering wheel jerking a bit as I go over bumps, but I do not get death wobble.

I've read thru various death wobble threads and even watched Planman's videos on it. I told the service mgr. that according to many Jeep enthusiasts the steering stabilizer only masks death wobble. What's the real story?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Planman's thread is the real story.

Dealerships love steering stabilizer "fixes." They're cheap, easy, and oftentimes mask the problem for awhile. But DW is almost always trackbar related, and the steering stabilizer has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Planman's thread is what you need to know.

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
From my own personal experience, the steering stabilizer does mask death wobble. While the steering stabilizer does help keep it from going full wobble on you, it does not address the true cause of the wobble.

I know at least one person who ran their lifted JK with no steering stabilizer, so you CAN run a lifted JK without a steering stabilizer, but personally I wouldn't recommend it because I think it helps reduce wear on parts that do cause death wobble. And with bigger heavier tires, a stronger than stock steering stabilizer is in order.

Unbalanced tires can cause wobbling, but not true full-on death wobble, however unbalanced tires can cause wear in other parts, which can lead to death wobble. So you will want to make sure your tires are balanced regardless.

By far the number one cause of death wobble is trackbar related (bolts not torqued down, mount holes wallowed out, or worn trackbar bushings). It seems to me that the number two cause is worn ball joints, which was my issue. I don't think the stock ball joints can handle the stress of bigger heavier tires for very long, especially if they were out of balance for any amount of time.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts