Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having trouble with death wobble? Friend to Wrangler Forum, yuccaman has graciously allowed us to link to his site.

Click HERE for some fantastic death wobble information.

Thanks, yuccaman!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have beaten the disease known as death wobble. My YJ would do it everytime that I hit 62 mph so 60 was the fastest that I could go. I replaced the steering stabalizer and that didnt change anything. Put the Jeep on a lift and checked over the whole under carriage and nothing seemed to be wrong.

As a final resort, I bought 4 brand new tires even though my old ones weren't completely worn yet. Took it for a test drive and it's fixed! Been running on the new tires for 2 months now and no more death wobble.

·
Registered
600 Posts
sounds fun...

·
Registered
52 Posts
i've also heard that there are some grease bolts under the axle that if greased will resolve the problem.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Did ya not read the link?

Basically what happens is the axle hops somewhat like axle wrap. And when this happens at speed 50-60mph or faster, it can be scary and even cause an accident.

·
Banned
1,489 Posts
shit never mind sorry I didnt notice the link :confused:

Im guessing stress on the axels and steering system while offroading can cause this pretty easily

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
worn out balljoints and other suspension components, yes... but the main culprit is usually a lose track bar, allowing the axle to move side to side under the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best friend had this happen to his YJ and all it was, was a bent rim. Got four new rims and hasn't done it since

·
Registered
6 Posts
wobble

I to am experiencing the wobble and think it is my tires. What type of tires are recommended for mostly street driving?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I got the DW at 45 mph, just did the alignment so hoping it helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed something in mine.. if I get on the gas a lil bit, I can feel the rear end *shift* kinda.. like it pulls to the right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Death Wobble

i purchased my 92 sahara in august 2006 and the wobble has been a problem since, until recently. first i balanced tires, bought new rims, new motor mounts, transmission mounts, installed 4" lift(not to solve wobble), new 34 tires(that never would bal to zero), another new set of 35 tires(wich helped), But the wobble didnt disappear until i changed the u joints about a month ago. it was great for about a week until the u joints started to wear! yes, after a week! I was in a bind and had to purchase from local parts store. i plan to change these soon. does anyone have suggestions? It was a dream come true for about a week! still not bad until about 70 to 75 mph.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
i purchased my 92 sahara in august 2006 and the wobble has been a problem since, until recently. first i balanced tires, bought new rims, new motor mounts, transmission mounts, installed 4" lift(not to solve wobble), new 34 tires(that never would bal to zero), another new set of 35 tires(wich helped), But the wobble didnt disappear until i changed the u joints about a month ago. it was great for about a week until the u joints started to wear! yes, after a week! I was in a bind and had to purchase from local parts store. i plan to change these soon. does anyone have suggestions? It was a dream come true for about a week! still not bad until about 70 to 75 mph.
Unfortunately your vibe is probably coming from the extreme angle of your stock driveshaft. Have you tried lowering the TCase a bit? If that still doesn't work then a Slip Yoke Elminator fixed yoke setup and new driveshaft are going to be the only things that will cure your vibe. Otherwise you are going to keep blowing ujoints and while wheeling will probably pull the driveshaft off the slip yoke.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Try to lower the tc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately your vibe is probably coming from the extreme angle of your stock driveshaft. Have you tried lowering the TCase a bit? If that still doesn't work then a Slip Yoke Elminator fixed yoke setup and new driveshaft are going to be the only things that will cure your vibe. Otherwise you are going to keep blowing ujoints and while wheeling will probably pull the driveshaft off the slip yoke.
Thanks for the reply. The tc lowering kit was installed with the lift(rc 4"). I was planning to install a sye and T.W. shaft but have been putting it off because after learning how weak my axles are, im thinking upgrade! If I install the sye and shaft, then upgrade axles, will i have to change these again or just change the shaft end to match the new axle? Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I'm new to jeep forum and have to say it's awsome! I'm learning more here than I ever could talking to my local dealer! Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts