Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Unlimited X JK Wrangler with a 4'' Rough Country suspension lift. I am having trouble with death wobble. I have had 4 alignments, tires balanced and rotated, new lower control arms put on, and taken it to 6 shops with no luck. Any ideas? HELP:banghead:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you make sure all the TB bolts were torqued properly? And with the lift did you do anything to the TB at all? Drill new holes, get relocation brackets, or just buy a new one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put new relocation bracket on it. I will have to check the torque on them. My alignment numbers were matched with what rough country recommended 4.6 4.3 range I don't remember my toe in and out but was in range. I will check over the TB and see what I can come up with thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What exactly is the death wobble? I have an 08 JKU and I frequently off road it while running 35s with a 4" lift but have never heard any significant wobbling or rattling.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Regarding the front track bar bracket, raising the front track bar (assuming yours is a stock one with the bracket) affects the steering wheel geometry.

I'm going to go with TB related too but there could be several things involved here since you have the bracket in addition to worn, ovaled out or loose TB bolts.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Regarding the front track bar bracket, raising the front track bar (assuming yours is a stock one with the bracket) affects the steering wheel geometry.

I'm going to go with TB related too but there could be several things involved here since you have the bracket in addition to worn, ovaled out or loose TB bolts.
Fwiw there's a few ways to correct steering geometry.
- lower the track bar by the frame and install a drop pitman arm. This is what the Op has.
- lower the track bar by the frame but flip the drag link over the knuckle. Teraflex does this but also incorporates a bar that attaches to the frame for strength.
- raise the track bar by the axle and flip the drag link over the knuckle.

Raising the track bar and flipping the drag link is the most common and best way to do it. Raising the track bar (axle) also raises the front roll center, another important aspect of geometry. More importantly, adds strength to the weak factory axle mount.
Flipping the drag link takes stress out off your sector shaft/steering box with the running at a flatter angle.
A drop pitman arm does the opposite and adds stress to the already weak sector shaft/steering box. With a TB lowering bracket does nothing for roll center.

Doing one without the other messes with the geometry and will cause bumpsteer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked the track bar bracket today and it was tight the bolts looked good the holes looked good as well. Do i need to get an adjustable track bar? How do i flip the drag link over the knuckle?

·
Registered
666 Posts
What exactly is the death wobble? I have an 08 JKU and I frequently off road it while running 35s with a 4" lift but have never heard any significant wobbling or rattling.
Death wobble is a vibration / wobble wherein once it happens to you, you know it. It's not something subtle at all.

Jeep Death Wobble - YouTube

OP, hope you track it down soon. In spite of the guys in the video above who are laughing, I know it ain't funny -- not one bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts