Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone -

After deciding... and re-deciding... and re-deciding... I think I've landed on the following (with a few questions I could use your help with):

Option 1: 285/70/R17 BFG KO2, Mammoth Boulder Wheels in Black, No Lift, Stock Fenders

Option 2: 315/70/R17 BFG KO2, Same Wheels, Lift, Stock Fenders
My questions here are:
1. Will the Tereflex Performance Leveling Kit be enough to avoid rubbing with stock fenders? Or does it make sense to go up to a 2-2.5in lift?
2. Will I need to update my tire carrier?
3. What am I missing?

What do you think overall? I really like the look of both options. For reference, its a 2015 white 2dr JK.

Andrew

·
Registered
474 Posts
The stock tailgate tire carrier is rated for 85lbs. Check what the weight of your new wheel/tire combo will be before you make a decision

·
Super Moderator
23,158 Posts
what gearing do you have. I think 315/70-17 with just a leveling kit will rub like crazy offroad.

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
Need a 2.5" lift with at least 2" bump stops to run the 315's with stock fenders... Not to mention a re-gear.

Reactions: HoustonHeathen

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Need a 2.5" lift with at least 2" bump stops to run the 315's with stock fenders... Not to mention a re-gear.
True Thing!

I have a Teraflex 2.5" lift, and I rub my 33's (285/70R17's) on my fenders when offroading. They don't rub during turns because of my backspacing, but they DO rub when flexing over obstacles, or as I leave a steep decline. I'll be going to flat fenders soon to get a little more clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what gearing do you have. I think 315/70-17 with just a leveling kit will rub like crazy offroad.
To be honest I'm not sure what gearing I've got... easy way to calculate? If it helps maybe you could tell me?.. it's a bone-stock 2015 Sport.

Yeah I'm debating between taking the plunge with the 35"s and all that come with it.. or going 33"s with no lift. I think i prefer a look without a ton of spacing between the top of the tire and the fenders..

That being said after looking at a million jeep pics who knows what I want anymore :)

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Well, if it's a street vehicle only, you might be able to get away with 33's and no lift, but you'd probably want a good bump stop at least. If it's an automatic sport, you probably have 3.21 gears. I do too. It's workable with 33's, as long as you don't expect a lot of torque out of your tire! You will want to re-program your computer, with a flashpaq (sp?), or something like that.

If you don't offroad, you might be okay with 3.21 forever on the 33's. Just kind depends on what kind of peppi-ness you like from your jeep. To find out for certain about your gearing you can input your VIN somewhere on the Jeep website, I think and it will give you a detailed breakdown of how it was configured when it was originally sold.

I'll be re-gearing when I get my 35's near the end of the year.

After you figure it all out, post some pictures, and tell us what you decided on!

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if it's a street vehicle only, you might be able to get away with 33's and no lift, but you'd probably want a good bump stop at least. If it's an automatic sport, you probably have 3.21 gears. I do too. It's workable with 33's, as long as you don't expect a lot of torque out of your tire! You will want to re-program your computer, with a flashpaq (sp?), or sojmething like that.

If you don't offroad, you might be okay with 3.21 forever on the 33's. Just kind depends on what kind of peppi-ness you like from your jeep. To find out for certain about your gearing you can input your VIN somewhere on the Jeep website, I think and it will give you a detailed breakdown of how it was configured when it was originally sold.

I'll be re-gearing when I get my 35's near the end of the year.

After you figure it all out, post some pictures, and tell us what you decided on!

Cheers!
Hey man! Thanks for the response! Its actually a manual .. not sure how that effects the gearing/need to regear with 33s.

I'm a beach bum so the Jeep will hit the sand a lot with some light off roading.. no rock xrawlinn or anything though.

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
I think manuals might be 3.73 ratio, not sure if only some are, or if all are.

My wife loves the beach, so we are there all the time. We have a hella fun bombing through the mud flats and so forth. Haven't felt any need to re-gear so far.

Here's a video of us at the beach on 33's with our stock gears:

Here is a link to look up your original build:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

put in your VIN, using capital letters and it should tell you how it was when it was delivered to the dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts