Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...new around here. :wavey:

I have been contemplating getting a 'project' vehicle - although I use that term loosely compared to what I see others doing.

I know I want to find one as close to stock as possible - just makes for an easier canvas to work on & modify, at least in my mind. It will not be a daily driven vehicle, but used to have fun on trails or around town. I will do some off-roading but probably not any rock climbing.

I can't quite decide if I want to get a TJ or CJ7. TJ's seem to be more readily available and cheaper, but I can't seem to find any threads that discuss any pro's & cons to either Jeep. Trying to compare so I can try to make some half-way rational decision. Then I can focus on that model which would help make the search easier!

Can anyone link me to some threads or share their thoughts on either Jeep?

Thanks!!!

Please don't flame me if this is in the wrong area - if needed, mods please move to a better location.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
It really depends on your plans for it. If you drive it daily then TJ for sure. A toy? Maybe the CJ. The TJ will be more capable and probably more reliable as well.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

An older CJ would certainly be a fun project. Before the TJ, there were very few coil sprung Jeep project vehicles. Once the YJ came out, it was a response to Ralph Nader and his safety campaign that forced the YJ to have front and rear track bars to improve stability. Track bars limited articulation, but made for a safer road vehicle for the masses.

The reason those old CJs are so expensive is their relative rarity any more. A decent non cancer filled tub and framed CJ is getting harder to find every day... TJs are still everywhere.

The street ride and off road capability improvements made in the TJ may be more up your alley. CJs took a lot of work to put 33 inch tires on, a TJ not nearly as much. Parts will much more readily available for a TJ. TJ has the 4.0 fuel injected motor (I wouldn't consider the 4 banger)... a CJ will come with a carbed 258 or small V8 in some models. All TJs used a hub assembly for the front axle bearings... The old CJs have serviceable bearings and cups.

The TJ really was a giant step up for the GP type Jeeps, but there is always something to be said about a classic!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I've owned both CJs and TJs. TJ will be more reliable and offer a decently comfortable ride. The terrible Carter carb on many CJs is a nightmare

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I see you are from TX. You will be able to find a lot more TJs with AC.:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Both are fun jeeps make sure in a cj u look were the leafs are mounted for cracks easy fixes tho but might be able to bring the price down.. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses...

I think I am concentrating my searches on the TJ.

I do have another question, but I think I need to post in the TJ forum since it is specific to that model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts