Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ordered yet, but the specs for my upcoming order are creeping up and up. Today is no exception as my wife had a few ideas of what to add.

I'm starting to dig deeper into the specs to compare, but in general, what made you cross that line into a Rubicon Hard Rock?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Use the same reasoning regardless of the package. If you want and aren't going to replace the more expensive options included in package then it is worth it. The price on any factory package is lower than cost of the individual options. If you plan on keeping the bumpers, red paint, etc then get it but if you plan on replacing those parts skip it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well the Hardrock wasnt available when I bought mine. But if you have plans to replace the bumpers/sliders etc. it makes more sense (at least to me) to go with the Rubicon.

Either way im sure you will love your jeep!

^^there ya go spinlock said it better than i could...

·
Registered
373 Posts
We love the hood. Driving down the road that's all we see. I know it's a lot of money but the list is long on what you get standard equipment.
Alpine 9 speaker 552 amp
Steal bumpers
HOOD
Heavy Duty floor mats
Leather heated seats
Warn tow strap gloves shackles and jeep bag
Side double tube rock guards
Black wheels
I am sure I'm missing stuff.
Did I mention the cool hood?
We paid 41,500 with auto,hardtop,liner,side air bags,and hitch. I think others did better than we did on price. MSRP was over 45,500
I hope this helps. And yes I know I'm biased.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! As an exercise, I priced out a hard rock with the options I wanted *not already included* in the hard rock to see what my price delta would be.

Rubicon with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, heated front seats, connectivity group, alpine amp&speakers. $42255

Hard Rock with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, connectivity group. $44590

The difference is $2335. For that, I lose nothing (all things changed are upgrades). I gain the hood, slush mats, steel front/rear bumpers, upgraded rock rails, black wheels, various aesthetics, leather trimmed seats.

Hmmm...

(note, all MSRP - I'm obvious not paying MSRP... :) )

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Don't forget to add the steel front sway skid plate, the fuel door, the gauges are different from a stock Rubi and all those parts are covered by the MOPAR warranty. Its a small amount but brings the delta down a bit more.

·
Retired Moderator
100,683 Posts
If you have the extra money, then I would get the Hard Rock!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same struggle when I was looking and now it's 6 months later and not once have I thought I made the wrong decision on buying a Hard Rock.
If I walked out to the garage this morning and it was missing I would take my window sticker straight to my dealer and tell them to call me as soon as they got one just like it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I plan on using my HR off road just like I used my 2001 for all these years. I ordered it for the trails and hwy ride too.
If you're not planning to do any OHV stuff I can't recommend the extra expense.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I faced the same decision a few months back when I bought mine. I wanted the hood, bumpers, and rock rails, but had no interest in heated leather seats or the other stuff. I ended up going with the JKUHR and am very glad I did. I know you can buy a similar hood from AEV, ACE sliders, and all sorts of aftermarket bumpers, but it was nice having all that stuff from the factory on day 1.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The thing I like most about the Jkurhrklzrm sorry got confused the more expensive one. Is you get a bad ass front bumper that accepts a winch inside it that also converts to a stubby bumper while taking airbag sensors into consideration and is covered under warranty. I like the old school just flat hood. Less stuff to collect in/on it than the other hood. And just one more way for water to get in there. The rear bumper I could take it or leave it. I'm not big on comfy features. When you keep vehicles as long as I do you know the fancy stuff just breaks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
All I'd suggest is to spend some time going through the pics board and seeing what aftermarket stuff is available and whether you like it more than the expensive options in the HR package or not. I loved the Hard Rock (X at the time) bumpers/rails when I first saw them, but eventually knowing what is out there led me to stuff I like even better. It would've been very disappointing to have paid the cash for the upgrade only to replace it, so make sure you look to see what's out there and if you possibly like something better.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks all! As an exercise, I priced out a hard rock with the options I wanted *not already included* in the hard rock to see what my price delta would be.

Rubicon with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, heated front seats, connectivity group, alpine amp&speakers. $42255

Hard Rock with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, connectivity group. $44590

The difference is $2335. For that, I lose nothing (all things changed are upgrades). I gain the hood, slush mats, steel front/rear bumpers, upgraded rock rails, black wheels, various aesthetics, leather trimmed seats.

Hmmm...

(note, all MSRP - I'm obvious not paying MSRP... :) )
I would never buy the HR because in that list the only thing remotely interesting is the Hood. And even that I prefer the AEV one which has the cut out for their snorkel. And that's not $2335. Reason I say that is because I love the look of the bumpers but they did an injustice by not adding D-rings. Because of that I would probably switch out the bumpers. Most stock wheels won't fit a wider tire by spec. So you will have to find someone to put on that tire who will look past that . Rock rails still attach to the body so those would get replaced. And you can get leather in a standard rubicon.

That being said I have considered buying a HR as a mall crawler/light trail use daily driver. When I say light trail use I mean a dirt road a car can get to. I am not in the market as of yet so I haven't priced out what a Sahara with a similar cosmetic appearance would cost. I wouldn't be so concerned with it saying rubicon as to the cosmetic appearance. To price in a hood, bumpers and wheel that look as awesome as the HR might cost more than then piecing that in.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
We love the hood. Driving down the road that's all we see. I know it's a lot of money but the list is long on what you get standard equipment. Alpine 9 speaker 552 amp Steal bumpers HOOD Heavy Duty floor mats Leather heated seats Warn tow strap gloves shackles and jeep bag Side double tube rock guards Black wheels I am sure I'm missing stuff. Did I mention the cool hood? We paid 41,500 with auto,hardtop,liner,side air bags,and hitch. I think others did better than we did on price. MSRP was over 45,500 I hope this helps. And yes I know I'm biased. Good luck
Love that yellow!! Great choice!!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Thanks all! As an exercise, I priced out a hard rock with the options I wanted *not already included* in the hard rock to see what my price delta would be. Rubicon with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, heated front seats, connectivity group, alpine amp&speakers. $42255 Hard Rock with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, connectivity group. $44590 The difference is $2335. For that, I lose nothing (all things changed are upgrades). I gain the hood, slush mats, steel front/rear bumpers, upgraded rock rails, black wheels, various aesthetics, leather trimmed seats. Hmmm... (note, all MSRP - I'm obvious not paying MSRP... :) )
From someone driving the hard rock's grand dad, do it!!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I ended up with "just" a lowly Rubicon. Haha

I loved the bumpers, upgraded sliders, hood and unique gauge cluster of the HR but I wasn't crazy about the all-black interior of the leather. And I do not like black wheels, that was what killed it for me. Obviously either way you're getting a great rig!

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts
For me the decision came down to interior color: I LOVE the Dark Saddle leather, to the point that I have it in both my JKR and my JKUS.

I don't care for all-black interiors. I grew up in semi-communist 1970s South America, when those countries were under military rule, and all anyone could buy were a handful of locally-assembled, crummy-built, stripped-down P.O.S. cars: we had to choose between five ugly paint colors with, yes our choice of all-black interior.

When we finally got democracy in 1980, the borders opened up to imports and, overnight, we could buy Oldsmobile Cutlasses, Ford Granadas and Dodge Diplomats with AC, power windows, radial tires, full-wheel covers, metallic paint, and our choice of brown, blue, burgundy or green interior!

To this day, whenever I poke my head inside an all-black Audi or BMW interior, all I see is lack of imagination and lack of freedom.

·
Administrator
17,007 Posts
We had the same decision to make in January of '14. We choose Rubicon because we didn't want leather and we wanted aftermarket steel bumpers.

The hood alone was almost enough to sway us to the X though (now Hard Rock)

My suggestion is Begin with the end in mind. What is your final goal with the Jeep? That will guide you to the right package.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks all! As an exercise, I priced out a hard rock with the options I wanted *not already included* in the hard rock to see what my price delta would be. Rubicon with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, heated front seats, connectivity group, alpine amp&speakers. $42255 Hard Rock with: auto (add back 4.10 axle), hard top, AC auto control, front seat side airbags, connectivity group. $44590 The difference is $2335. For that, I lose nothing (all things changed are upgrades). I gain the hood, slush mats, steel front/rear bumpers, upgraded rock rails, black wheels, various aesthetics, leather trimmed seats. Hmmm... (note, all MSRP - I'm obvious not paying MSRP... :) )
Did you notice the hard top is cheaper added to the HR? By a few hundred bucks when I was building both ways on their site.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you notice the hard top is cheaper added to the HR? By a few hundred bucks when I was building both ways on their site.
I did - thanks. It starts off with the upgraded soft top, so there is more $$ already accounted for in the top - thus the reduced delta for the hard top. That's partly why I wanted to go through the exercise. The connectivity group was also cheaper since some of that 'group' was already included in the base build.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts