Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a decision to make and would like your thoughts. Ready to buy/order my Jeep, bought my wife a JKU Sport S last January and now it’s my turn (yea, I’m fired up). So it’s between ordering a new JK Willys if I can get what I want on it or finding a lightly used Rubicon. We do go off road quite a bit, mostly on rocky desert trails. I don’t have intentions on rock crawling but that doesn’t mean I won’t come across challenges on the trail. I have to say that I’ve been impressed with the off road ability of my wife’s JKU that’s basically stock. I’ve been looking around and I can get a new Willys or a 2014 Rubicon with less than 5000 miles for about the same price. What would you do and why? Thanks - Meck

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Personally, I'd go new. You never know what someone MIGHT have done in those first five thousand miles that could spell trouble later on.

I'd also prefer to have the full warranty. With the deals you can get on brand new and the prices they want for a used with only 5000 miles, it's 99% better to just go new.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I think Star has good advice my only comment is that lockers are much more valuable than i realized. I just completed a Jeep Jamboree and the rear lockers played in big time on Imogene pass. It was actually the first time I had used my lockers when not in snow. So if you can find a Rubicon that has just been mall crawling, and there a plenty out there, then maybe the Rubicon.

You might want to PM WF member ClayR and ask him if you can still buy an extended warranty on a used Rubicon.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If going barebones on options, I'd go Willys. If you want a decent amount of the creature comforts, I'd go Rubicon. I've seen quite a few "loaded" Willys going for almost as much as a modest Rubi.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'm seriously leaning towards ordering a new Willys, finding a low mileage Rubicon locally is proving to be difficult, and where I go off road a Willys should prove more than adequate. So I have a few questions about the Willys, maybe this should been posted in the Willys Club thread but I started it here so forgive me if I offended anyone.
Can I order 4:10 differentials with the Willys with an auto trans?
Can I order the connectivity group with the Willys?
Not that I would want it but can the Willys come with leather seats? None of these options show up on the build a Jeep website. I also read in here somewhere that a dealership bought back the wheels and tires off a new Willys, anyone else ask for and get this? Thanks - Meck

·
Registered
357 Posts
The 4.10 gears and leather aren't available from the factory on the Willys. The connectivity group is standard on Willys package.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I would urge you to talk to the salesman you ordered your wife's Jeep from. He should be willing to bend over backwards to get a second sale this quickly.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Used rubicon. Nothing can really be neglected in 5000 miles thats gonna hurt a jeep. Even if the oil wasnt changed it aint guna hurt nothing that soon. Rubicon has lockers and 4:1 tcase. Willys? What does it have that can even compare to a rubicon? I never buy new. You pay like 8000 more just to get it new instead of used with a few thousand miles. If you go desert wheeling someday you will wish u had a rubicon. Bet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts