Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching one set of particular tires for 6 months with Quadratec I placied my order and was told I have them in a week. Almost a month later, still no tires. Every time I called/emailed the, got the same "template" response, "You'll have them in a week". Finally when I insisted someone look into what was going on, they told me the tires were no longer in production. :atomic: So, I'm back on the hunt. I'm looking for 33/11's for my 18 inch wheels. I want the deepest most rugged looking tread that will be good in some snow/rain. I'll be doing no off reading, but most of the tires I look at with the deep tread seem to be best for the mud but not for a good everyday ride and normal snow/rain conditions.

The tires I ordered but never got from quadretec were the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tire with Kevlar. I like that look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
MTR's are no longer in production? I had them on a truck before and loved them. I was considering them for my Jeep

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
If you want a mean looking deep tread tire look into the Hercules trail digger. They're not super expensive either
A buddy runs them and wheels in the rocks just like I do. He's replaced 3 of them do to sidewall cuts, Big O sold him the warranty with the tires. They seem to hook up alright but the sidewall seems to be an issue or just bad luck. I'd look at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ or the ATZ p3. I run the MTZ and you can see the stuff I wheel in my build thread, never an issue. The ATZp3 is a cross between an aggressive MT & AT.

Note : the GY MTR/K SUCKS in snow/ice!

·
Registered
417 Posts
A buddy runs them and wheels in the rocks just like I do. He's replaced 3 of them do to sidewall cuts, Big O sold him the warranty with the tires. They seem to hook up alright but the sidewall seems to be an issue or just bad luck. I'd look at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ or the ATZ p3. I run the MTZ and you can see the stuff I wheel in my build thread, never an issue. The ATZp3 is a cross between an aggressive MT & AT. Note : the GY MTR/K SUCKS in snow/ice!
I had a set of 33"s on an s10 zr2 I had (miss that truck a lot) and they were great. I noticed I had picked up a Nice few slices in the tread but never cut right through. Never had any sidewall issues but the truck wasent used for rock crawling either. Thanks for the tip though I was considering a set for the jeep

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
I had a set of 33"s on an s10 zr2 I had (miss that truck a lot) and they were great. I noticed I had picked up a Nice few slices in the tread but never cut right through. Never had any sidewall issues but the truck wasent used for rock crawling either. Thanks for the tip though I was considering a set for the jeep
Which tire? Lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nitro mud grappler if ya bad a?? Or super swamper tsl's. Prolly not the look your after but deff fit the bill of a look your after.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Not a M/T tire, but I have to give a vote for my General Grabber AT2s. Got mine in 275/70/18 for my stock Sahara wheels. Love the moderate aggressive look and they have performed flawlessly for me.

Taken after Jonas:

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can I chime in with a voice of reason? Tires are something you should buy based on performance characteristics, not looks.

You are choosing blocky tires meant for mud and off roading. They usually have zero siping and are bad for snow and rain because of that. And you will be driving them on road, likely in rain and some snow.

Just saying.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Can I chime in with a voice of reason? Tires are something you should buy based on performance characteristics, not looks.

You are choosing blocky tires meant for mud and off roading. They usually have zero siping and are bad for snow and rain because of that. And you will be driving them on road, likely in rain and some snow.

Just saying.
This!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Based on your needs the GY Duratrac or BFG K02 sound like a perfect match.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! Can't wait to begin my next round of research. FYI, I did mean tread in the original post but was thinking ahead to this "thread", lol

To those 2 nay sayers about going for performance over looks, no offense, but, umm, no kidding. I'm looking for advice on how to get the best of both worlds which is why I've been doing extensive research for months instead of just buying the deepest treads out there without taking performance into consideration. That was the main point of my post. Thanks again so much to those who actually understood my clearly stated question.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! Can't wait to begin my next round of research. FYI, I did mean tread in the original post but was thinking ahead to this "thread", lol

To those 2 nay sayers about going for performance over looks, no offense, but, umm, no kidding. I'm looking for advice on how to get the best of both worlds which is why I've been doing extensive research for months instead of just buying the deepest treads out there without taking performance into consideration. That was the main point of my post. Thanks again so much to those who actually understood my clearly stated question.
The best of both worlds really doesn't exist, that's the issue. Characteristics that make a good off road tire often are the exact opposite of ones that are good in rain and snow. That said, though I have no experience with it, the Toyo MT has some siping that ought to help in those conditions.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Just saying.
That statement could apply to several accessories.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts