Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have posted this before but its about sealing up everything (engine electronics etc...) I'm gonna be driving through deep water so what should I seal? I probably will get up to dash at one point. So what do I need to do?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
A boat...... ;)

Snorkel, and Idk what else...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Chadwick.

There... it's been said :)

Jeeps can ford pretty well out of the box... anything you'd do to increase fording capacity would likely put you into "floating away" territory except for lift....

Having said that, the biggest concern IMO is vent lines. everything else is already pretty much high enough.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I won't go to the dash but I'm few inches over the hood. So if I get stuck waters gonna flow into the engine. So what in there needs to be sealed. Btw I really want the radio and clock to work

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
The radio and clock are the least of your worries.. Like Aelwero said, you need to relocate the breathers, and seal up/relocate the airbox, and make sure you keep the clockspring dry inside... I'm sure there's other stuff, but I'd seriously reconsider what you are thinking of doing..... Just sayin'

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The radio and clock are the least of your worries.. Like Aelwero said, you need to relocate the breathers, and seal up/relocate the airbox, and make sure you keep the clockspring dry inside... I'm sure there's other stuff, but I'd seriously reconsider what you are thinking of doing..... Just sayin'
I know but other people do go through water like that. I mean other people do that(repatition) so are you guys just saying its a hassle? A don't worry the guy at the shop will figure it out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
haha the clock and radio to work.. that's kinda funny. that shouldnt be the thing you focus on, preventing hydrolock es muy importante... and is it a specialty jeep shop or just a mechanic?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I know I'm getting the river raider color matched tj snorkel. The shop I'm taking it to is ok auto 4x4 and jeep so I'm pretty sure they know something

P.S. could I move the clock up near the mirror on the windsheild along with the cb? The radio I don't really need but it would be good to have it.

I'm new to jeeps so will an electric winch short out or something in the water? That's is probably the stupidest question ever. And where's the breather I heard it was on the dif? Dif breather. Also if I'm driving it on the road sometimes do I want air or just plain lockers?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody know anything about mojave hood vents from river raider?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you can afford air lockers, that's definitely what you'll want to go with, or at least a selectable locker like OXs. Lunchbox lockers are great for the front where you can disengage into 2wd, but in snow, lockers can become a hazard so you might want to factor that into your decision.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Alright I have put my jeep in water to were it was above the lower cushion on the seats. I have my breathers moved up and that is it. If you have a distributor you might want to rtv the edge so you don't get water in there. Snorkel, move breathers up, rtv your distributor. I mean I was in mud/water that was around 40in deep. I turned the jeep off got it winched out. Once out turned it over and kept going.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I would love to see pics, and hear what your local shop does to your Jeep.

I for one, have no intention of getting my Jeep that deep. Just curious to see what they tell you is all.
I've watched stuff float around my feet while I'm driving, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would you disengage and engage air lockers? Buttons or something? And what does rtv mean? Where are the breathers and what are they for? Sorry about the bombard of questions.

I was hoping for front and rear lockers. Is that extreme?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
air lockers are engaged via a switch, usually a toggle switch. Check out ARB setups on youtube. OX lockers are selectable lockers that are switched via a lever. RTV is a silicone gasket that you use to seal up things like your differential covers. Front and rear lockers aren't extreme, they're awesome for off-roading. But, unless they're selectable, auto-lockers are noticable on the road. In the snow, you risk understeer in the rear which can be hazardous, which is why ARB lockers are beneficial.

I'm disappointed you're not getting the response you're looking for in going in deep water. I myself don't have the proper answer, but it seems you're headed in the right direction. You need to seal water away from getting into the engine. The main way is the air intake, which should always be located above the water. The breather tubes (including transmission if auto) need to be located out of the way as well. The exhaust pipe isn't an issue as long as you keep the engine running and the water level does not go above the headers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
air lockers are engaged via a switch, usually a toggle switch. Check out ARB setups on youtube. OX lockers are selectable lockers that are switched via a lever. RTV is a silicone gasket that you use to seal up things like your differential covers. Front and rear lockers aren't extreme, they're awesome for off-roading. But, unless they're selectable, auto-lockers are noticable on the road. In the snow, you risk understeer in the rear which can be hazardous, which is why ARB lockers are beneficial.

I'm disappointed you're not getting the response you're looking for in going in deep water. I myself don't have the proper answer, but it seems you're headed in the right direction. You need to seal water away from getting into the engine. The main way is the air intake, which should always be located above the water. The breather tubes (including transmission if auto) need to be located out of the way as well. The exhaust pipe isn't an issue as long as you keep the engine running and the water level does not go above the headers.
Thanks,
That could be water proofed right? And I was watching extreme 4x4 on spike and they said that if you go around corners with lockers you'll get your suspension In a bind. Is that true? I would have to flip these switches every corner?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its no fun if you dont get it wet!!!! Just get some gortex boots, if it comes up past those you know you went in too far!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the 3-speed auto, and I recently sealed up the factory vent hole in the bell housing and added a new one with an extension line.

I'm running the vents for the T-Case, Transmission, and both diffs to a box in the cowl, and I'm adding a cowl air intake (need to remove the crummy K&N intake the P.O. installed).

Grabbed a tin of di-electric grease and I'm sealing up ALL (yup, all) of the electrical connections.

Might even add a HMMWV style air intake off the cowl eventually.

Now, I never plan on actually driving in water (I live in the desert side of WA), but I'll be set if I ever have to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a typo.

Chadwick.

There... it's been said :)

Jeeps can ford pretty well out of the box... anything you'd do to increase fording capacity would likely put you into "floating away" territory except for lift....

Having said that, the biggest concern IMO is vent lines. everything else is already pretty much high enough.
The dj-5s were used as mail trucks until about 1984. Throughout production they would have other motor company bid on the contract to manufacture the engine. Companies such as AMC (audi) and a few others got the contracts. Available in a three speed manual and a three speed automatic. Two wheel drive only four wheel drive was never an option. That's about everything I know about them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
auto will need breather sorted if it is one .....snorkel ...breathers all to said snorkel ... diffs can be pressurized by on board air ..Google it ..dude if ya new to wheeling get out with people , join a club learn to walk before ya swim....I mean if ya only worried about ya clock and sounds ...:)..water kills lots of new jeepas

pics taken yesterday ................:happyyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts