Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know i have some heater issues to begin with as the heat only gets warm not too hot but where is the ducting for the defroster? When I turn the fan speed over low it sounds like something is getting blown in front of the defrost vent and the air just stops flowing. This doesnt happen with the face vents or foot vents just defrost.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so i got the heat to blow hot today there was a cable bound up undert he dash for the temp contol. However it will still not blow out the windshield vent it blows out the side vents for the defrost but not the mostt important one.

suggestions welcome im at wits end after digging through the jeep today :banghead:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have this same problemon my 97 TJ and I can't seem to fix it. I'll be following the thread to see if anyone figures this out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just bought my 99 TJ a week ago and this is my first post. Same problem as stated and hoping there is an answer. Worst part is this started the same day i did a Heater Core flush to get my heat back to working.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think we all have the same problem. I think I have a fix for us. They are known for having cheap vent doors. Check out
Heatertreatet.com I believe is the site.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heater Treater is for Jeeps with the electronic control and failure of the door circut to be able to distinguish cold from hot setting causing luke warm air.

My problem and these other gents it seems that have the cable slider is that the heat blows hot but wont blow out of the windshield vent only the side vents when set to defrost.

When i slide the selector over to defrost and the fan is on low it sounds like it is coming out the vent then if you turn the fan up it seems like something is blocking that vent from letting air pass like the central defrost door is stuck shut. Trying to see if anyone has a fix for it before i spend the 4-5 hours removing the dash to access the heater box. :banghead:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump hopefully someone with knowledge of this problem can chime in. I am sure this isnt the first time this problem has popped up.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
same issue. not sure yet but from what i have been told (family was previous owner) the door that routes the air to defrost is broken off its arm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Had problems with my 03 TJ when I bought it used from a dealer. It was reluctant to change from floor to dash to defrost. Technician notes say a vacuum hose had come loose that had be reattached. That vacuum line changes tha airflow to dash, floor, defrost. Maybe if you pull the glove box off and pop the defrost vent trim off you can locate the culprit.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Had problems with my 03 TJ when I bought it used from a dealer. It was reluctant to change from floor to dash to defrost. Technician notes say a vacuum hose had come loose that had be reattached. That vacuum line changes tha airflow to dash, floor, defrost. Maybe if you pull the glove box off and pop the defrost vent trim off you can locate the culprit.

From what I've read the 97-98's did not use vacuum, they were cable driven for the vent positions..

·
Registered
600 Posts
I see I am not the only one with this problem. I have a 97 i bought a couple months ago and its getting cold and i need to get this fixed.I plan on taking the dash apart this weekend to see what I find.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me know been too busy to get a chance to rip mine open. Only good thing is that the interior is going to get a paint job when i tear it out lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
im tuned in. really dont want to pull my dash for nothing. if i ever get some time guess ill tear into it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was looking under my dash and saw something disconnected, like a little metal lever type thing going into a black box which moves when you change the vents. I'll show pics once I get out of school.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well I found the problem,fixing it is another story. The vent dampers are controlled by 3 dif actuators with cheap plastic pieces controlling damper movement. The one arm that controls air to the defrost is broke off the dmper and I can't even manually open it. The actuator still works but it's a piss poor design with the plastic arm that broke. To replace it the whole dash needs to be removed. :banghead: to see the actuators and arms just have to remove the panel under the steering wheel which is only a couple of screws then look to the right to see if you guys are having the same problem

·
Registered
600 Posts
i woke up this morning with an idea. the dash doesnt need to be removed to fix my problem. the plastic arm broke leaving the male "gear" stuck inside the damper. i threaded a screw a few turns inside the part that broke and was able to pull it out. the arm is hollow so i screwed a small screw inside it and was able to put the whole thing back together. it seems pretty solid and it is working again. there is a lot of stress on it and it mat not last so i will look online for a replacement. i didnt take pics of the process because i wasnt sure if it would work. i didnt want to take it all apart to take pics. sorry. i have pics of the location of my problem and the broken arm. i am pointing at area will a small yellow screw driver. once you guys look inside the dash my idea should make more sense.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts