Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for some advice about my defroster/heater. I'm not sure if it is one problem or multiple problems that happened all at once.

I have a 99' and all of sudden the following has gone astray just in time for winter. (It is pouring here in Northern Cali tonight)

1. Fan now has two speeds - Fast and not so much
2. My selection switch will now only let me have defrost yet the position is between floor and front dash vent.
3. Every time I start the ol gal, i hear a sound and my defroster is blocked from blowing on the windshield yet blows out the side vents toward windows.

I'm a fix it myself girl when I can and right now I would like to at least fix the defroster blockage before heading over the Sierra's this Friday.

If anyone has any quick simple ideas (I have about an hour to work on tomorrow night) I would really appreciate it.A Visual would be awesome but take what I can get with a big thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have have same the problem in my 97 wrangler. If you take off the under plate under the steering wheel you and you look to the right there's 3 medal canisters that move whenever you switch heat positions, one of them is probably unclicked. If you click it back in it should fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '99 also. Mine was doing pretty much the same thing. I ended up having to buy a new control panel (not sure of the technical name) and that fixed it. Until now..... now my fan will come on, then shut off, and it only blows on the #3 fan..... Just in time for winter.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
check the back of your fan switch for possible melting of the contacts. These are known to overheat and melt. Next I would consider replacing the blower resistor if your are only getting the high fan setting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny story but true. Right before I left for Reno I went out into the foggy morning bundled up and ready to fix this thing. I took off the plate below the steering wheel to take a peek and follow the wonderful advise everyone was giving. What I didn't mention is that I also have a loose connection and all my gauges go off and on, sometime all at once sometimes just one.... So I am under there just looking and becoming familiar while my hands were becoming very cold. I checkout some wires felt the back side of the switch, check out hoses and so on.... My time was running short and I knew the weather was going to be okay heading over the Sierra's. I knew I would have to dig in deeper but for now I had no time. Honesty, I sissy girled out! So I put the plate back on and went inside to get ready to go. When I get in to leave I turn on the jeep hoping for at least one speed of the fan to work and give me a little heat in the fog. Would you believe everything worked perfect including the gauges. I only had low and high speed but my selector switch turned and changed as it should. I now had floor, face and defrost. One happy girl. :dance:That lasted about a week and a half. This weekend I will actually have to go back in and find out the real reason. Too bad the luck I had on the jeep I didn't have on the slot machines. I'll let you know how things pan out this weekend. Thanks for all the advise. Going to follow it all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts