Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted a while back trying to figure out how this would be possible. Well, I finally installed everything tonight and it turned great!

Now what do I mean by this?

Certain sellers online have a CB/FM splitter. It lets you use a CB antenna for both CB and FM radio reception. This can allow you to delete the FM radio from the front of the car. I preferred this approach for a few reasons:

-I would always hit stuff with the stock antenna
-The antenna was in front of my A-pillar lights
-I'm a big fan of symmetry :bop:

Plus I wanted to install the CB radio anyways. Using this setup, I now have BETTER FM reception than I had with the stock antenna, and I was able to get a 1.2 SWR when tuning the radio earlier. Not bad if I say so myself!

The point of this post was to help others who wanted to do it as well. I ran behind schedule so wasn't able to make a full writeup, but here are the parts you need:

The only other thing you may need, and this is just for the CB install in general, is a spare tire spacer. My stock 17" wheel contacts the antenna, so I added a Teraflex spare tire spacer. Also, you don't have to put the antenna on the tailgate. It can be placed anywhere on the vehicle that you can reach with cable! If you pick a different mounting location, then certain items on this list won't apply (mostly the spare tire CB mount).

Maybe no one will use this, but I can hope! :winner:

EDIT: If you want to do this mod but have no use for a CB radio, then your parts list would be:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic of the antenna delete!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's a pic of the antenna delete!

I like it!!! Where did you all the materials from as I would really like to do this when I get back from my military overseas deployment. I really want to delete the stock antenna and move it to the back by the spare tire!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are the pics from the back of the Jeep? Like to see that too. 👍

Here you go! I'll add links to the stuff I bought in a minute.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are the pics from the back of the Jeep? Like to see that too. 👍

I updated the original post, the list of items now links to what I bought :drinks:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Did you have any trouble tuning it with both the spring and QD in place?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have any trouble tuning it with both the spring and QD in place?
Not at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to tune actually.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like it and I wasn't even thinking about installing a cb. Where did you mount the cb?
Under the glovebox on the left side. The cord hangs down and if I remove the mic, I can tuck it under the carpet (this is in the first pic). Second pic is where I mounted the splitter.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love this mod. One question - is the adapter the same for the 430N head unit?

Thanks
I want to say yes, but I don't have the 430N to check. However, if you end up needing the other part (40EU10) you can have mine just for the cost of shipping as I ordered both by accident.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks! I am ordering all the parts you listed today - looking forward to next weekend to install everything.

If the splitter is in the engine bay - how did you run the coaxial cable from the splitter to the inside of the tailgate?

Thanks again for posting this up. It also appeals to my CDO (it's just like OCD, but the letters are in the right order) quest for perfect symmetry.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! I am ordering all the parts you listed today - looking forward to next weekend to install everything.

If the splitter is in the engine bay - how did you run the coaxial cable from the splitter to the inside of the tailgate?

Thanks again for posting this up. It also appeals to my CDO (it's just like OCD, but the letters are in the right order) quest for perfect symmetry.
Sorry, I guess it wasn't very clear in my picture. That's actually behind the glovebox, so not in the engine bay. From behind the glovebox, I ran the coax cable under the trim on the right side of the vehicle, following the floor then along the seat belt then under carpet all the way back. There's a wire loom already sticking out for the power for the third brake light, I just followed that for the path.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had similar problems with my antenna and have thought about moving it; for those of us not interested in the CB, what on your list don't we need?
You would not need the Cobra radio, the JeepUniq mount, or the SWR meter.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the Sirius XM antenna elsewhere or does this affect that reception? Thanks! This is an interesting idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sirius antenna is different so it is not affected!

1 - 20 of 166 Posts