Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I already knew this would happen.
Today, I worked on getting a paraplegic friend into my passenger seat. Already knew I'd need to release the door straps to fully open the door, took 20 mins to position the ramp and his chair just right for him to get in, jeep seats are high, even unlifted.
Went for a gorgeous 3 hour, fall color, warm weather ride high into the mountains. He loved every moment of the ride, as did I. Chatted about his Harley accident that did him in, his Vietnam experiences.....
Ended up with a small dent for my troubles.
From this point forward, every time I see it I'll smile and remember our trip - some dents are good dents *grins*

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sounds like a great time, and you are an honorable person. :thumb:

·
Registered
793 Posts
2013 Rubicon unlimited.... about 3 weeks old. My detailer did it. :banghead:
Now about 93% removed...by Paintless Dent guys................Go for it, they should be able to get most of it out.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
I have the dent as well but it is far less noble then how you got yours, I'm just an idiot that wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I use a short bungee cord, doubled over through the pocket mesh on the lower part of the door.

But that's a worthy dent. :punk:

·
Registered
597 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
They make mechanical straps. I believe they will adjust to open the door wider.

Good attitude :thumb:
Jimbox where are you? What do you use?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Jimbox where are you? What do you use?
Jimbo uses the Armadillo door stops. I've got a pair of em, and they worked well, but I eventually took em off and went back to the straps, since my doors were off for 6 straight months...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
ah, the kiss of death. Its usually such a light tap but leaves a lasting mark. I have tried everything to remove it. What I found worked best was massaging the metal from behind (get your mind out of the gutter) with a ratchet extension wrapped in some felt. This will create heat and pressure to hopefully pop it out. I did it on a hot summer day and was able to reduce it slightly. Its not totally gone but its less noticeable. The god thing is that I always remember to hold onto the door now.

But, I do agree with everyone, if your going to have a dent on your jeep your reason is a great one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There are always the cowl covers too, if you want to protect the cowl so it doesn't happen again. I don't have em (still dent free for now...knocking on wood) but people seem to like them and they look pretty nice.

Sounds like you're friend enjoyed the trip!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I put on the Rugged ridge cowl guards. I hadn't dented the cowl yet, but from all of my reading on here I knew it would be a matter of time, so I proactively put them on. I liked the way they contrasted against the dozer anyways. I think I posted a pic of them on a different thread. They go on super easy, just need to make certain to prep the area properly to make sure the achieve proper adhesion.

But, as you pointed out, this particular dent for you is more of a badge of honor than a irritating constant reminder of letting your guard down...

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
In this case, I would leave the dent as a reminder of a great time. Would be a great story to tell people later. I only hope I can do something like this in my life. I'm sure it will be a lifetime memory for your friend as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the dent as well but it is far less noble then how you got yours, I'm just an idiot that wasn't paying attention.
x2, plus knowingly lazy to re-attach the straps because "I was going to be careful"....

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's a great reason to get a dent. I would leave it there on purpose just for the reminder of a good deed and how lucky we are.

I have/had a same dent in mine. No story like that, just not paying attention. I did push it back out enough that I don't even notice it anymore. I used a 12" 2x4, ripped it on a tablesaw to be about 3/4" wide. I rounded the end to the contour of the inside of the cowl and massaged it out from behind. With the hood open you have decent access behind the cowl. I didn't try to work too fast. Now, there is just a little spot that really only looks like a paint flaw.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Jimbo uses the Armadillo door stops. I've got a pair of em, and they worked well, but I eventually took em off and went back to the straps, since my doors were off for 6 straight months...
You and your fancy nice weather.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts