Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife backed into my buddies car the other day. No damage to his, but the JK oem bumper had a crushed corner.

The dent was about 18" long and when I took a look underneath, I saw a drain hole about 1/4" in diameter in the plastic bumper. I counted 4, one at each corner and one on either side of the hitch.

I took 3 Phillips screw drivers and plugged 3 holes. Then I stuck an air chuck against the drain hole right under the dent and inflated the bumper. 3/4's of the dent popped right out.

I took a heat gun to the stubborn part of the dent, the filled with air a few times heating between fills.

The whole damn dent came out.
The only thing left is a gouge in the corner plastic that I'm not worried about.

Thought I'd pass this alone for the half a dozen on here that have not tossed the OEM bumpers yet....lol.

Pics to follow....

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Very imaginative. Thanks for sharing that. Not something I will ever use but there are many here that will benefit from your find.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Up next, a mod to turn the bumper into a kegerator! There’s no better way to end a trail run than with a fresh, plasticky warm one.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have mine converted into a water tank, though no pump; just gravity drain through a brass fitting on the bottom. Very easy to do and very useful for camping to have 7.5 gallons for washing hands, dishes, etc.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
the water would be nice for rinsing off sand after you hit the beach but the homeless in downtown would mess with it. lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had not though of carrying water for camping....Brilliant!

Here are the pictures. This one is after I blew out most of the dent. I didn't take any pictures before I started because I didn't think this would work:

The hole "plugs":

1 - 9 of 9 Posts