Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
<<No chance the hinges moved, and the door alignment is fine.>>

Does the gap between the top of the door and the frame still look normal? Or, too small? Nice, you were able to adjust the latch.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not really much difference, at least not that I can tell. The doors look fine.

I didn’t have to adjust the catch, the doors still shut - but I could see where it was rubbing on the latch when closing. I only had to bump it up the difference in bushing lip difference, guessing @ 2mm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Installing these QT bushings this morning, I noticed the OEM metal bushings had, what appeared to be, a thin lining of plastic on top of and inside the bushing, that the door pin road on. This plastic material was pretty beat up, torn and warn. Jeep only has 30K on it. Don`t recall hearing anyone mention this plastic sleeve?
Needless to say, I`m still waiting on 2 of the 8 bushing to free up. Tapping them pretty good, they are still frozen in there. I`ll keep lubing them up as best I can, and try again tomorrow. I don`t want to hit them too hard and move the hinge/break the paint.
Any tips for this?

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
Installing these QT bushings this morning, I noticed the OEM metal bushings had, what appeared to be, a thin lining of plastic on top of and inside the bushing, that the door pin road on. This plastic material was pretty beat up, torn and warn. Jeep only has 30K on it. Don`t recall hearing anyone mention this plastic sleeve?
Needless to say, I`m still waiting on 2 of the 8 bushing to free up. Tapping them pretty good, they are still frozen in there. I`ll keep lubing them up as best I can, and try again tomorrow. I don`t want to hit them too hard and move the hinge/break the paint.
Any tips for this?
Patience.......

Some use a jack and a piece of wood (to spread the force out). That scares me. You could also try a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the hinge.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No need for a jack (I cringe thing of doing that anyway), I got the doors off. It`s 2 of the the bushings I`m having a hard time with.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
No need for a jack (I cringe thing of doing that anyway), I got the doors off. It`s 2 of the the bushings I`m having a hard time with.
My bad. I thought you still were trying to get two of the doors off. But heat might help, along with patience and penetrating oil.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The replacement bushings that I purchased had a tap that came with it that you insert from the bottom with the door off and use to dislodge the OEM liners.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
People often used a small socket that fit in there, it was the same dimensions as the bushing and let you tap it out. Any metal rod would work; a wooden dowel probably would.

I ended up using the small one that came with the Delrin set. One was still mildly annoying; had to hammer at it for a while.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Others have tapped in the lip at the top on the bushing using a small screwdriver and tapped it out from the top. If you use a socket, I believe it is 9mm. I too used the tool I got with the Qtech bushings, and was super lucky they came out easy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
One word of caution..I have seen hinges move when people hammer too hard with the tool used to remove the liner.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Yeah, I finally got the two tough one`s out. For whatever it`s worth, Here`s my take on these things (Keep in mind, this is only my thoughts and what I experienced):

• They are needed. In short, old design does not last long at all. And as others have said, the longer you wait, the more of a bitch you`ll have.
  • The 8 Derlin bushings I got (Quadratec Made in USA), were not all perfectly the same diameters. In that, you can see one bushing sleeve would be a tighter fitting in the jamb hinge than an other. Basically requiring you to fit them each so they all slide in with equal, minimal force. If they were pushed in too tight, the door hinge pin will not drop down all the way, even greased.
  • As I discovered on YouTube, I`d tap in the top lip of the old bushings to create less friction of the tough to remove bushings.
  • In order to fit these bushings in, the directions say to use a small rat tail file (looks like a 3/16" dia. file). That did not make sense to me as it would cause uneven filing. I used the included emery cloth with an appropriate sized drill bit to evenly sand the round openings of the jamb hinges.
  • As Nottalot mentioned (thanks for the heads up), the door will sit up slightly higher with these bushings. Oddly, I had to raise the front and rear door latch a bit on the right side, but did not need to adjust either door latch on the left side.
  • I also noticed that 1 or 2 of the 4 doors, the fitment is slightly misaligned. Not noticeable unless you were looking for it. Guessing because these bushings are not perfect sized? Not a big deal.
  • Couple of things I would look at prior to installation if I were to do it again: Concerned I was tapping too hard on the included tool to remove the old bushings, I`d carefully measured the distance from the bottom hinge to the top. They were all accurately the same on mine, before and after. Check alignment for even door fitment.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
That misaligned fitment is on my 2 door as well and makes me crazy when I'm putting on half doors. I've yet to get a tight seal for lowers on anything but the factory doors.. but only on the passenger side. Driver side is fine.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Another thing I'm really happy with are door pin extenders. They screw on to the door hinge and add about half an inch to the upper pins. Lets you put that one in then focus on aligning the lower pin. Makes putting the doors back on much easier.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
I actually put the extenders on the bottom hinge pin and get it started first and the align the top and slide the door down. I bought the set that had two, using 1 on each door (TJ). The Chief's doors have never been off, too much of a hassle to undo the wiring for four doors and then put them someplace. Two doors, non electrical, are easier to do.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
On a humorous, related, side note. Anyone notice anything wrong with the white Jeep?

Not the best image, enlarged from a cropped section of a FB photo. Hint - it's not the wheels, look at the door jambs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
On a humorous, related, side note. Anyone notice anything wrong with the white Jeep?
View attachment 4434195

Not the best image, enlarged from a cropped section of a FB photo. Hint - it's not the wheels, look at the door jambs.

Unbolted the doors from the hinges and left the hinges on the Jeep?

Seen that before.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
It was posted on the FB page of a local Jeep club. I don't think anyone around here had ever seen that. The comments were that they would probably have fun trying to get the back on correctly.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts