Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a run Saturday with other Jeepers. I'm toward the rear in line, minding my own business and enjoying the run, when all of a sudden there are Manzanita bushes everywhere and they are in attack mode! They were on both sides of the trail and encroached WELL INTO the trail. Everyone ahead of me just plowed right through them, and, well, so did I.... with my teeth gritting the whole way. Needless to say I now have scratches on both sides.

What do you do with your scratches, buff them out or leave them as a "badge of honor" as to where your Jeep has been?

Just curious,

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A quick hand polish should knock out a good amount. Can always go up to a compound, or even break out a dual orbital. I detailed my jeep with Meguires ultimate compound and it eliminated nearly all swirls and light scratches. Only the relatively deep stuff was left. I did it by hand, too. Note: Not a 10/10 compound, uses fillers, but I don't really care as of now since I rather spend money on stuff outside of a full detailing set up.

·
Super Moderator
8,247 Posts
Badge of honor all the way. Differentiates you from the mallcrawlers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Photos or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got a lot this weekend too! I made sure to park right next to the entry gate at work so everyone could see them as they punch in the gate code! I'll be washing and buffing this weekend with great memories!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've been to that shop.... asked to have mine done like another board members... bastid's said, "All work is strictly custom, no do over's or repeat striping".

You can try to rub them out and good luck. Enjoy 'em and every time you get into your jeep, just smile. Looks like we are neighbors of sort... Keep an eye out for a red two door with 37's. It normally only comes out on the weekends enroute to some dirt and rock infested place but, you can't miss it when it does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went on a run Saturday with other Jeepers. I'm toward the rear in line, minding my own business and enjoying the run, when all of a sudden there are Manzanita bushes everywhere and they are in attack mode! They were on both sides of the trail and encroached WELL INTO the trail. Everyone ahead of me just plowed right through them, and, well, so did I.... with my teeth gritting the whole way. Needless to say I now have scratches on both sides.

What do you do with your scratches, buff them out or leave them as a "badge of honor" as to where your Jeep has been?

Just curious,

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Wax the sides of Jeep just before your outing - Nano spray wax with carnuba works well

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neighbors

..... Looks like we are neighbors of sort... Keep an eye out for a red two door with 37's. It normally only comes out on the weekends enroute to some dirt and rock infested place but, you can't miss it when it does.
It seems that we are neighbors of sorts. In fact, you will no doubt recognize the place where my avatar picture was taken. It was at the Fairgrounds in the AV. I belong to the 4 wheel drive club that removes the "dead/disabled" vehicles from the track after the figure 8 races, trailer races, and demolition derby events.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Registered
750 Posts
My humble opinion is to purchase or build another Jeep or off road vehicle that you do not care if it gets scratches or dents.
We use our Jeep for exploring. If I saw that manzanita bushes covered the trail, I would use reverse. If I ever decided to go places that would tear up my vehicle, I would build a "beater" that would do the job, and not care what it looked like afterwards.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could have been worse

Thanks for some good suggestions and advice. I didn't take photos before I washed and cleaned my JKU. After it was clean the scratches weren't as bad as I had expected. WHEW!

I know that "battle scars" will occur on this type of vehicle but just trying to be careful of my "investment".

Thanks

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got my share today. We were following a wash and it turned into a quad track.
It got pretty hairy but the Rubicon came through like a champ.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Waxing before should help. Also, there is some 3M clear protection film that's supposed to help, something like this on Amazon. I'll do that next time I go out. I don't want it applied permanently, so it doesn't need to look pretty.

The pinstripes on the paint can be buffed out, although mine didn't come out by hand, but the scratches on the hard top are worse, and I don't know what to do about that...

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
That makes perfect sense, good advice. ^^^

·
Registered
134 Posts
A buddy of mine always puts on a thick coat of Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wash and Wax (from Walmart) without buffing before going on a trail. I'll have to try that next time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts