Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the detriot soflocker work on a dana 30 front axel. its not a daily driver and i dont want to change the hubs

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
it would work but for a DD rig I don't think its needed, at least for what I do. On my '92 XJ its was basicly stock drivetrain with Chrysler 8-1/4 rear & D30 up front.. If you do some pretty hard core stuff then maybe go for it, but I don't think its necessary.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Selectables are always the way to go for the best. But softlockers and such like the truetrac are good for added traction but can still be one wheel wonders in a given situation.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
But softlockers and such like the truetrac are good for added traction but can still be one wheel wonders in a given situation.
Detroit Softlocker is another name for the venerable Detroit Locker and as such, is a full-on hard-core full-case automatic locker. It is not a limited slip differential like the Truetrac is.

That said, I would just install something like a Lockrite, Aussie, or No-Slip lunchbox locker up front. The Softlocker is a full-case replacement so the ring & pinion gear's backlash would have to be set up from scratch, but nothing would have to be changed with any of those three lunchbox lockers.

And for the D30, any of those three lunchbox lockers are fine and more than strong enough for up to the 35" tire size. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts