Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Detroit locker in the rear of my 2000 wrangler tj and it's stuck locked up. It would sometimes pop in and out like I've heard these lockers do but about a week ago it locked in and is now stuck that way. So now everytime I turn my tires are skipping and wearing my tires out. Anyone have this problem before or know of a way to fix it without taking the rear end apart?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Try backing up will help it unload. What you are describing in normal to me. Mine rarely unloads during turns. When it does WOW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried reverse and putting it 4, going a little, then taking it back out but nothing is making it come lose. I'm trying all options before taking the whole rear end apart. Is yours always locked up? Mine acted almost like an LSD and only locked in when I needed it to

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Its a locker yes always locked. Mine only unloads during bind. When I turn sharp my tires chirp. If I accelerate through a turn the locker will make a very loud pop this is it unloading.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Detroit lockers are always locked. They only unlock during a turn.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try and jack it up when I get the chance. And it use to unload and pop when turning but it stopped doing that and just stays locked now. My tires never chirped when turning until now. Which is why I'm a little concerned

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. Mine would unlock during a turn before then all of the sudden now it won't unlock. I have been also combing the forums for answers, before I tear I to it. I had someone show me pics of a broken locker he said that's what his issue was. I also had someone tell me changing out the springs to a more streetable one would help but I cant find anyone selling them I guess I will need to just call Eaton.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem. Mine would unlock during a turn before then all of the sudden now it won't unlock. I have been also combing the forums for answers, before I tear I to it. I had someone show me pics of a broken locker he said that's what his issue was. I also had someone tell me changing out the springs to a more streetable one would help but I cant find anyone selling them I guess I will need to just call Eaton.
Damn I really hope it's not busted!! I'll probably be taking the axle apart soon since a have a new kit with bearings and races to put in anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts