Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep is my weekend vehicle that will be used 50/50 on-road / off-road and I do not want an open diff up front, I would like to hear some opinions and experience with the Detroit Locker vs TruTrac, I'm going to pull the trigger on a new diff in the next couple days (along with vanco big brake kit and currie currectlync) 馃榿馃榿馃榿 I know a locker is better offroad, but how is it in the front axle on regular street driving, all input is appreciated, thanks!!!

Registered
I have a Truetrac in the rear. I don't even know it's there on the street. Off road it works well if that helps you any.

Registered
I have a Truetrac in the rear. I don't even know it's there on the street. Off road it works well if that helps you any.
when I had TrueTrac's front and rear I would have said I agree with this. Well I recently install an ARB in the rear...and I definitely now know the TrueTrac is gone. The ARB is open when not locked...and I really do miss the LSD already, and it hasn't even been 100 miles.

The other day I was driving around my condo complex & around DD parking lots....I couldn't figure out what was wrong, or why I kept spinning and sliding on the random snow/ice patches. Then I was thinking, "oh right, I'm open in the rear now...." Gonna take some getting used to...

Registered
Is there a selectable locker that when selected it is a full locker and when not selected it acts as a LSD? That way you don't have it open when street driving

Registered
Is there a selectable locker that when selected it is a full locker and when not selected it acts as a LSD? That way you don't have it open when street driving
in the aftermarket, the Auburn ECTED is the closest thing. It's not a full locker when "locked" tho. It operates electronically to change the bias of the clutches. So when it's "locked" its a very high bias LSD that acts "locked". When the voltage is off, it's a normal clutch based LSD.

Because it's clutch based, that also means it needs LSD fluid, and the clutches will wear out. The TrueTrac is a helical gear LSD and needs no special fluid and won't wear out until some ridiculous mileage...

Registered
in the aftermarket, the ECTED is the closest thing. It's not a full locker when "locked" tho. It operates electronically to change the bias of the clutches. So when it's "locked" its a very high bias LSD that acts "locked". When the voltage is off, it's a normal clutch based LSD. Because it's clutch based, that also means it needs LSD fluid, and the clutches will wear out. The TrueTrac which is a helical gear LSD, and needs no LSD fluid and won't wear out until some ridiculous mileage...
Okay thanks for that explanation! That's what I had thought. Right now I actually have the TrueTrac in my rear 44 and am very happy with it. I have a HP30 in the front and right now I am researching which lunchbox locker to put in there.

Being from MN and going to school in VA I love having the TrueTrac in the rear. You can tell a difference on road and off. Very pleased with it.

Registered
Okay thanks for that explanation! That's what I had thought. Right now I actually have the TrueTrac in my rear 44 and am very happy with it. I have a HP30 in the front and right now I am researching which lunchbox locker to put in there. Being from MN and going to school in VA I love having the TrueTrac in the rear. You can tell a difference on road and off. Very pleased with it.
I put a Lokka in my HP30. $198 shipped to your door. Cant beat it

Registered
You're in Florida? I recommend that you lock. On the road, you'll won't be engaging 4wd, so you won't even notice the front locker ;)

A locker in the front is transparent in 2wd.

Registered
The other day I was driving around my condo complex & around DD parking lots....I couldn't figure out what was wrong, or why I kept spinning and sliding on the random snow/ice patches. Then I was thinking, "oh right, I'm open in the rear now...." Gonna take some getting used to...
But do you regret it?

I have the Traclok in the rear with a good clutch pack and it helps in the snow.

I keep going back and forth on replacing it with a Trutrac or going full locker.

My biggest reasoning behind going full locker is that this vehicle is only 20% DD and 80% play.

Registered
But do you regret it?

I have the Traclok in the rear with a good clutch pack and it helps in the snow.

I keep going back and forth on replacing it with a Trutrac or going full locker.

My biggest reasoning behind going full locker is that this vehicle is only 20% DD and 80% play.
well, I've only got about 60 miles on the ARB right now...so I don't know yet, but I highly doubt I will regret it. I don't even have the air system installed yet to activate the locker. I can't wait to get it off-road...there is a couple obstacles I'm looking forward to trying. My Jeep isn't my DD anymore, so it's days in the snow are limited now. I've got a new-to-me diesel truck for a DD, but it has an open rear end....600 ft-lbs + open rear diff = stupid idea. I will be installing a Trac-Rite (AAM version of TrueTrac) for that truck eventually.

Knows a couple things...
My personal opinion is that Detroit Truetracs are superb on paved streets that are covered with snow or ice... or flat trails that are mud or sand. I ran front and rear Detroit Truetracs and the more I got into more difficult offroad trails, the more frustrated I grew with them. It got to the point where they just weren't able to help me at all on the trails where tires were lifted in the air due to an obstacle.

I replaced them both with true lockers and the improvement in how well my TJ did offroad was both dramatic and IMMEDIATELY noticeable. Dramatic is not a strong enough word to describe the improvement I noticed on the very first trail I ran lockers on.

My personal opinion is, having run both extensively, limited slip differentials like the Detroit Truetrac and Tracloc are great for street use and flat trails. For trails difficult enough to start lifting tires enough so they have insufficient traction, lockers are the way to go. Yes I know there is a very vocal person here who swears his current Truetracs are the greatest thing for offroading since sliced bread but having run them for several years on trails that became increasingly difficult, I couldn't disagree more with that opinion.

I now run selectable lockers but my first lockers were both automatics... Detroit Locker in the rear and a Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker up front. By far, that Detroit Locker was my favorite locker. Its only shortcoming is if you have to drive on icy or snow-covered roads (or tails) a lot where you have to take a little extra care with it and not be aggressive.

Registered
You're in Florida? I recommend that you lock. On the road, you'll won't be engaging 4wd, so you won't even notice the front locker ;)

A locker in the front is transparent in 2wd.
If you were OregonTJ or WashingtonTJ, I would recommend a selectable locker as best case, else run the TrueTrac.

As you're FloridaTJ, you're fine with an autolocker.

Knows a couple things...
If you were OregonTJ or WashingtonTJ, I would recommend a selectable locker as best case, else run the TrueTrac.

As you're FloridaTJ, you're fine with an autolocker.
I don't get how you come up with stuff like that. You don't run lockers or have experience owning them, how would you what lockers works best in what conditions? If you're thinking of snow or ice, that's not a year-round thing for any of them.

OP, I forgot to expand on your question of Detroit Locker or Truetrac up front... Detroit Lockers don't work well in the front Dana 30, the axle flexes too much. A front Truetrac is useless in most difficult offroad conditions which is why I got rid of mine. For where you live, a lunchbox locker like an Aussie up front would be a very good choice. You won't notice anything on the street in 2wd except for some occasional mild clicking during turns when it's quiet enough to hear it. But once you shift into 4Hi or 4lo, it becomes a well behaved beast. I enjoyed my previous TJ's front lunchbox locker and rear Detroit Locker combination.

Registered
I don't get how you come up with stuff like that. You don't run lockers or have experience owning them, how would you what lockers works best in what conditions? If you're thinking of snow or ice, that's not a year-round thing for any of them.
I get off from observation and research. Get off my back Bransford, I'm just giving opinion like you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't get how you come up with stuff like that. You don't run lockers or have experience owning them, how would you what lockers works best in what conditions? If you're thinking of snow or ice, that's not a year-round thing for any of them. OP, I forgot to expand on your question of Detroit Locker or Truetrac up front... Detroit Lockers don't work well in the front Dana 30, the axle flexes too much. A front Truetrac is useless in most difficult offroad conditions which is why I got rid of mine. For where you live, a lunchbox locker like an Aussie up front would be a very good choice. You won't notice anything on the street in 2wd except for some occasional mild clicking during turns when it's quiet enough to hear it. But once you shift into 4Hi or 4lo, it becomes a well behaved beast. I enjoyed my previous TJ's front lunchbox locker and rear Detroit Locker combination.
What characteristics make the Detroit locker not work so well in the front? Also I'm more often on slippery clay, muddy or sand situations, how would the TruTrac perform then?

Registered
Personal experience - 99 TJ originally with Trutrac in the front D30 and Super 35/Detroit in the rear. Running 35's on chromoly shafts - in Florida. Jeep was a weekend play toy that did moderate level wheeling with. I had no issues w/ street manners with either axle. Obviously didn't notice the Trutrac on the street (only ran 2WD on street, no snow in FL :)) and the only time I noticed the Detroit was ocassionaly in a parking lot it would chirp the tires on a hard turn into a parking space. Other than that I didn't have any of the issues people talk about w/ Detroits like sudden locking, noise, etc.

Off road, the Detroit worked great. The Trutrac was okay. In sand, mud, trails it worked VERY well. The only place it wasn't so great was in the rocks. Basically, it takes some amount of wheel spin to get the Trutrac to function, so there were times when it was a little more difficult to get wheel spin. You could usually get it to happen, but sometimes you had to work at it a little (tap brakes, use a little more gas, etc.) for lack of a better description.

Swapped axles to D44's F&R w/ Superior chromoly shafts w/ Yukon Grizzly locker in the front and an ARB in the rear, running 37's. I REALLY like this set-up. The Grizzly is very similar to a Detroit in it's lock up manners and the ARB works greta as well. On road (again 2WD only) there's no indication that you have a locker (no clicks, ratcheting noises, etc.) in the front and the rear is normally open so no difference there.

Off road, the Grizzly works as expected, but I don't really notice any real signficant issues with steering "push" on turns. There's a little something there, but I'd gladly trade that for the locking function. It doesn't make any noise like a lunchbox locker. Having the ability to lock/unlock the rear is a nice option as well as you can unlock the rear and do some "sliding" with the throttle.

Knows a couple things...
What characteristics make the Detroit locker not work so well in the front? Also I'm more often on slippery clay, muddy or sand situations, how would the TruTrac perform then?
The problem with the Detroit Locker up front is strictly a mechanical problem in that the Dana 30 can flex enough to damage the Detroit Locker. The Detroit Locker is fine in other axles. The Truetrac would be a good choice for flat conditions with mud, sand, or clay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts