Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering putting something in the rear of my dd sport w/ 33's. Have you or do you own a detroit locker or trutrac? Since the jeep will see road and trail use I'm interested in hearing opinions from those who have owned one or the other, even both. Clearly the locker is better offroad and the lsd is better on and they both offer rewards and some quirks. Which quirk/reward ratio is better in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm seriously considering putting something in the rear of my dd sport w/ 33's. Have you or do you own a detroit locker or trutrac? Since the jeep will see road and trail use I'm interested in hearing opinions from those who have owned one or the other, even both. Clearly the locker is better offroad and the lsd is better on and they both offer rewards and some quirks. Which quirk/reward ratio is better in your opinion?
What conditions will you be driving in? Ever see snow? I don't ever have snow and do fine in the rain, so I would do lockers...but that doesn't mean it's best for you. If I had a front locker, I'd MAYBE think about LSD in the rear, but once again that's just me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd the the vehicle to be serviceable in any condition. I understand that a selectable locker is the IDEAL solution. I'm planning on keeping the front completely open and adding something to the rear.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've got Trutracs front and rear. Works great on the road and I rarely notice any difference. I haven't had a chance to get it off road yet and try them out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply MJP. Keep me posted when you get offroad and let me know.Based on what I see in your signature our jeeps will be pretty similar. Mine goes in the shop tomorrow to have a teraflex performance leveling kit and 5100's installed. I like the streetablity of the trutracs I'm just afraid that the offroad performance wont be much better that the factory braking traction system. I'm also curious if teh factory system will work in conjunction with the trutrac. I know you can help them to "lock up" by tapping the brakes. Maybe the traction system will tap the brakes for me...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had a Detroit EZ Locker (lunchbox) in my XJ and while it did the job offroad, you knew it was in there on road. It wasn't ideal for my application. And I assume you're talking about a full Detrot Locker and carrier?

If I were in need of one today, I would think a modern, daily-driven JK would get best use for the money from an Eaton Truetrack (drop in). If I recall the pricing correctly, a full Detroit/carrier with a master install kit puts you in the range of a selectable or there abouts.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
There is no problem driving a Wrangler with a full case Detroit Locker. You want traction get a locker. You want to settle for something less you get a LSD. No matter what you buy you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have Detroit Softlockers front and rear on my built TJ and they are GREAT on the rocks and more hardcore trails. They aren't the greatest for the street and in snow. The TJ mostly gets trail use, but I do drive it to the trail. For my new JKU I am considering Trutracs front and rear because my JKU will mostly get used for milder trails and camping, etc. For the rear I would go with a manual locker like an ARB or OX if you are into really ramping up for rocks or harder trails. Personally, I like the idea of front and rear Trutracs and may go that route my damn self.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts