Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the Detroit locker in the rear, its time to add a select able locker int he front. with that said, let the comments or suggestion come in.... Not doing ARB, so what do you all suggest and why? Looking for budget friendly but reliable for minimal use as I am not a full time trail head!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No arb leaves what? Yukon and Ox????
Ox all the way

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Why not a lunchbox and chromoly shafts?
X2. Easy to install yourself in a few hours with common hand tools. You won’t feel the locker in 2wd.

Is a front locker really necessary given your intended usage? We’ve run the Rubicon trail with and without a front locker. Difference in performance was negligible.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I wouldn’t necessarily change to chromoly shafts- much cheaper and easier to change. Make that your ‘weak link’. If your wanting a locker up front, pound for pound the lunchbox was a great upgrade for me but selectable is the way to go if $ not an issue. Just my opinion.

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
You know how I feel about Detroit’s, my hands down favorite for a non-selectable locker, even with their inherent intricacies. That being said, I am equally vociferous about other Eaton products. I will in all probability never install any selectable locker other than an Eaton E-Locker. I have had such trouble free operation from them, particularly the latest iterations.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Oops forgot about eaton e locker.... I think I might like that even better than the ox...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know how I feel about Detroit’s, my hands down favorite for a non-selectable locker, even with their inherent intricacies. That being said, I am equally vociferous about other Eaton products. I will in all probability never install any selectable locker other than an Eaton E-Locker. I have had such trouble free operation from them, particularly the latest iterations.
Eaton E Locker was what I was considering.... after researching... I think that might be the direction for me

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X2. Easy to install yourself in a few hours with common hand tools. You won’t feel the locker in 2wd.

Is a front locker really necessary given your intended usage? We’ve run the Rubicon trail with and without a front locker. Difference in performance was negligible.
you have a good point, however, if I am going to set it up completely, then I see more benefit with a front locker than without.

The jeep has upgraded shafts...

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Oops forgot about eaton e locker.... I think I might like that even better than the ox...

I did not look into the e-locker very closely when i went with OX. I just figured that i end up with chocolate milk diffs sometimes and i figured that would not be good for electrical internals. And i was worried about running wires to the diff out of fear of them being ripped out by sticks. And if the wires did get ripped out i am not sure how hard they would be to replace. Does it require pulling the locker out to replace parts?

OX air system if you rip off a plastic line you can repair it easy and cheaply and get it up and running again in no time. Don't want to carry extra line and fittings? You could carry a drive away lock in the glove box to get back off the trail if you really need it.

Electrical does sound nice since you dont need a compressor but i wonder how durable they are as far as water intrusion and ripping wires out go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts