Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I bought this jeep in August of 2013. It is a 99' 5 Speed 4.0 Inline 6 with 118,000 miles and 31x10.5r15

I first had to replace the manifold and muffler. I went with the stock accordion type header and a vortex muffler.

I'm gathering parts and building as I go.

I had some small parts to find for the interior like the shift bezel that keeps the boot in place and a new glove box because mine was all beat up.

It has an aftermarket CD player in the dash but its pretty old (skips here and there) so I plan on taking that out and replacing it with something newer. I also want to change the speakers because the factory one are terrible.

I need some new rims, mine are corroded and discolored.

I got a jeep bra for the hood, which I think looks nice.

I just bought a 2" BB and had that installed on 11/22/13 I kept the stock shocks. Its rides nice with them but I will upgrade to OME later on. Now I am looking for tires. Im thinking Yokohama Geolander MT + 33x12.5r15

I ordered A-pillar lights. I went with 6" Hella 500 Black Magic lights. They will get installed when I get them in the mail.

here are some pics:

Stock as I bought it.

Stock with Bra attached

2" Budget Boost (BB) on 31x10.5r15 AT

When I have the chance I will install the A-Pillar lights and new tires which I wont have for a few weeks.

I'm also thinking of getting the light guard kit for the head lights tail lights and corner lights.

I have always liked the Stinger front bumper so we will see what happens in the next few weeks. I'm building as money comes in.

Let me know what you think, I appreciate all comments negative or positive.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
looks like a nice start....for me personally I would get rid of the step right off the bat.
have fun watching it grow as you find more to do.....Fun stuff!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would you put in place of the step? nothing? and just go with the high step?

After driving the jeep for a few days I am noticing some minor drive line vibrations. I just ordered a 1" t-case drop kit. I should have it soon.

Am I doing any harm driving it with the vibs or is it OK for a few days?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I guess it would depend on what type of wheeling you plan on doing....I would eliminate the step and add rock sliders, keep in mind that when you ask questions then you get a lot off opinion. Be sure to do your research and build it how YOU like it. Take a good look at how you plan to use it and the create a "plan" around that and then start working towards the all around goal. I have seen so many times where upgrades are changed, which will happen some, but minimizing that will help get you where you want it to be sooner.
You have a nice clean rig to start with, so the "Plan" would be the very 1st thing I would do (which will adjust some as you start using it more on the trail).
I personally hate the step that Jeep used. And I have seen them destroyed on the trail buy catching a rock or something else.
Main thing is to make it yours and enjoy the time you spend doing it all.
Hope my rambling helps.
Happy Trails,
Chad

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wont be doing much off roading the most I will be doing is a couple times in the summer on the beach and around in the snow since I live in New England.

I got my Hella lights in and my mount brackets for the A-Pillar. I'm pretty busy at the moment so it will be a few days till I get around to doing the install. I will take some pics and post them up soon.

I should get my t-case drop in on Monday and ill try to get that done asap.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Idk if anyone else has same point but going with the stock exhaust manifold will just crack. They all crack I would replace it with a aftermarket one :) and flow master competition series :) good luck

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got a little set back, my t-case drop some how is completely wrong for my set up. The ad on line said for a TJ and i got it but its completely the wrong thread count and the spacer are all wrong. I'm trying to get a refund. I just bought a different one from 4wheelparts.com made by pro comp. Should have it tomorrow. lets hope this works, i don't want to blow my tranny driving with vibes everyday.

·
Registered
295 Posts
well i got a little set back, my t-case drop some how is completely wrong for my set up. The ad on line said for a TJ and i got it but its completely the wrong thread count and the spacer are all wrong. I'm trying to get a refund. I just bought a different one from 4wheelparts.com made by pro comp. Should have it tomorrow. lets hope this works, i don't want to blow my tranny driving with vibes everyday.
I just removed my drop kit. It pushed my skid plate to far down it drags on all the rocks and crap. I'm hearing lot of people removing them

And I put a dad on here I'm giving mine away for free. It's for a 97-06 TJ Lj

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are there two different kits? on 4wheelparts.com for the pro comp kit it said something like 87-02. Is it different from 03-06?
Mines from rough country maybe they are diff hole spots. Didn't think about that usually everything you see is 97-06 but yea prob won't work. My bad

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My business needs tires for 2 cargo vans, my dad needs winter tires and my jeep needs some 33's to get its stance right. Im going to a local tire shop to see if they can give me some type of deal for buying 17 tires.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts