Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buttoning up the little stuff on my 4.0 conversion. My harness does not have an OBDI port. I have a long pigtail that I haven't identified yet, but it is a square plug with only 4 pins. Was the diagnostic port on the 95 4.0L from a YJ different than the typical OBDI port?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
The '95 YJ and Cherokee FSM is showing a square plug dangling close to your PCM under the hood. Pgs 243-244. Whether that is what you are looking at on your harness is for you to check out. The FSM refers to it as a "Data Link Connector"

Good luck, sounds like your getting down to the short strokes. Picture time.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The '95 YJ and Cherokee FSM is showing a square plug dangling close to your PCM under the hood. Pgs 243-244. Whether that is what you are looking at on your harness is for you to check out. The FSM refers to it as a "Data Link Connector"

Good luck, sounds like your getting down to the short strokes. Picture time.....
Thanks for the info. The plug wiring is definitely long enough to get there. I'll dig in and verify colors. I may just mount in cab since the boot is missing.

Getting very close. Just ordered tail lights since the old looked original and were warn out and the plug was different than the new body harness. Still need to replace front driveshaft u-joints and install driveshaft, figure out how to make the 91-95 brake light switch work in the 89 pedal assembly (probably the hardest part), get the exhaust done from the down pipe back, fill up the tranny and install all the shift boots and covers, and wire the stereo. Should be ready to roll after that and it'll be time to start the body work.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
FWIW. Not sure how much info you'll get out of the OBD1, It wasn't near as advanced as what you get from the OBD2, but then way back when not half as much was computer controlled. But I guess it would be worth whatever you do get from it.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Here's my diagnostic port, along with all the smog controls and computer.
All that stuff ended up on the shop floor when I bought a HEI distributor.

The OBD1 is archaic technology that an experienced mechanic can duplicate with his ears and his thinker.
I suggest to anyone with a 4.2 that doesn't need to pass visual emission testing to buy and install a HEI distributor.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts