Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My neighbor and his son came knocking on my door this week asking if I could help them with a brake job on the son's truck. The son is 17 and just recently got his drivers license. Neither the son or the dad have much mechanical knowledge. They took the truck, a 2005 Toyota Tundra, to get new tires and the tire shop told them it needed front brakes. My neighbor asked how much they would charge for a brake job and the tire shop told them it would be $650. I had changed the brakes on one of my neighbor's other vehicles for him a few months ago so he knew to come to me for help. The son, who is a junior in high school, knows absolutely nothing at all about cars so while I did the brake job, I explained every thing I was doing to him to try to teach him. He did not even know how to break the lugs loose or put the wheel back onto the studs. I did the hard, more technical stuff, but I got the son to do some of the work. I thought it was a good teaching / learning opportunity for the kid.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
im glad i grew up learning how to work on vehicles from my dad. there are so many people these days that dont even know how to change their wiper blades, its ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im glad i grew up learning how to work on vehicles from my dad. there are so many people these days that dont even know how to change their wiper blades, its ridiculous.
My dad passed away when I was 12 from cancer so I pretty much taught myself how to work on vehicles. I am 47 now and I am happy to teach the younger kids what I can.

I have a 17 year old step-son that could not care less about learning how to work on vehicles. His dad bought him a 2006 TJ and a taillight bulb recently went out. He and his dad were mad because they were going to have to put the Jeep in the shop to get the bulb replaced. I explained that they only had to remove 4 screws and unscrew the light bulb to replace it. They looked at me clueless. Neither my step-son or his dad knows how to work a screw driver so I changed the taillight bulb.

I was changing the spark plugs on my wife's car and I asked my step-son if he would like to come outside and watch so I could teach him how to change spark plugs. He said sure, he got up off the couch and went to his room and closed the door. I guess he did not actually want to learn anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also am glad I had people willing to teach me mechanical skills, including my dad. I'm trying to pass it on. My son loves cars and wants to learn, problem is that his attention span is measured in minutes. 6 spark plugs would take 6 hours counting the distractions. So he's learning the skills and I'm learning patience! Of course, he won't remember everything, but I hope that he learns the concepts and is confident that he can do it with a few tools.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do a lot of that. I have a lift, a brake lathe, and time. I have been very blessed, and am happy to share what I think is a dying art, which is getting your hands dirty and becoming mechanically knowledgeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts