Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 JKR. Was out wheeling in some pretty rough stuff and took a few hits, nothing that seemed all that severe but steering wheel off center by about 10 degrees afterwards. Still drives and tracks fine so I figured drag link or a tie rod, and it looks like the drag link might be bowed downward but I have nothing to compare to and not certain if the bend is normal, what do you think?

Automotive tire Wood Rim Rolling Engineering
Wheel Train Tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the stock unit does have a slight bend but it still didn't look quite right to me. Not sure why the aftermarket improvements are in the $350-$450 range, seems kinda high for what it is, but... pay to play...

·
Retired Moderator
2016 JKU Back Country
8,862 Posts
Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the stock unit does have a slight bend but it still didn't look quite right to me. Not sure why the aftermarket improvements are in the $350-$450 range, seems kinda high for what it is, but... pay to play...
The stock unit, and at least one or two aftermarket draglinks, have a clear and pronounced bend in them at the axle side.
It is possible you bent the draglink. Is that an aftermarket draglink?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock unit, and at least one or two aftermarket draglinks, have a clear and pronounced bend in them at the axle side.
It is possible you bent the draglink. Is that an aftermarket draglink?
No, it is the stock unit. I can see the 30-degree-ish bend at the steering knuckle end and it's clear that is normal, but there is also a slight bow along the straight portion as detailed in the pics, and that is what I am questioning.

·
Retired Moderator
2016 JKU Back Country
8,862 Posts
No, it is the stock unit. I can see the 30-degree-ish bend at the steering knuckle end and it's clear that is normal, but there is also a slight bow along the straight portion as detailed in the pics, and that is what I am questioning.
My stock draglink has pretty much the same arc yours seems to have in the picture. And I am pretty sure it isn’t bent. I also have an AEV draglink, which is pretty much a draglink for a right hand drive JK, and it has the same bend about six inches up from the flattened bend on the axle side.
So I don’t think yours is bent if that is what you are talking about.
I will try to post pictures later, maybe on Monday if there’s still doubt.

·
Retired Moderator
2016 JKU Back Country
8,862 Posts
Well, I did some pics of the stock draglink on our Jeep and the AEV draglink that we used to run (and will run again when I can get the trackbar sorted out)
Stock Draglink
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Rim Motor vehicle

AEV Draglink
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

You can see they both have the same bend in them that yours looks to. SO while yours could be bent, I don't see it from those pictures.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can see they both have the same bend in them that yours looks to. SO while yours could be bent, I don't see it from those pictures.
Thanks so much, that's very helpful. The stock drag link in the above picture looks just like mine so unless they're both bent, mine isn't. But that does leave the question of why my steering wheel center changed. About the only other reasonable possibility is the tie rod or tie rod ends, and those appear to be fine.

·
Retired Moderator
2016 JKU Back Country
8,862 Posts
Thanks so much, that's very helpful. The stock drag link in the above picture looks just like mine so unless they're both bent, mine isn't. But that does leave the question of why my steering wheel center changed. About the only other reasonable possibility is the tie rod or tie rod ends, and those appear to be fine.
Check the adjuster. It is not unheard of for it to move. Also, a bent tie rod will do the same thing, cause the steering wheel to move off center.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I would love it to be the adjuster as that is the most benign possible cause, but when I re-centered the steering wheel earlier today it wasn't loose (nor were the nuts particularly tight either, but I think they were plenty tight enough to prevent movement.) I don't see any evidence of bending of the tie rods, nor any evidence of a rock strike anywhere. I guess I could try to check the toe setting to see if that tells me anything.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I have an OE like DL, and it seems to have that little gap in there. seems totally normal
2022-05-21_07-16-18 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Reactions: smiller1

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW a real mystery... I just checked the toe setting and it is dead on so a tie rod was definitely not bent, and the drag link adjuster didn't move because the index marks I added last time I adjusted it were still aligned. If the drag link itself didn't bend then... how could the steering wheel center change? I guess I will never know. :confused:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Make sure your trackbar is torqued to specs. I used to have an issue where my steering will get crooked left or right after a day at the trail in my first Jeep and I'll have to recenter the steering everytime. It used to drive me crazy back then. A shop did my lift/steering install for me and I never checked specs until I started having these weird issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts