Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,so long story short i ripped out my springs and shocks from my 3.5" rough country lift cus the ride was horrible and replaced with Rubicon Express springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks.I have a 2 door 2010 Sahara.Can someone explain this cus i think i made a huge mistake.I ordered my new parts from 4wd and when i got my shipping confirmation the description didnt sound right.Basically my truck is sitting alot higher then it was and my wheels look small now and i think they sent me the wrong springs.I called and ask and they almost had no idea what i was talking about and didnt seem to have an answer but promised the springs were the right ones and they were same size as the ones i ripped out so i thought maybe they were correct and there was nothing labeled on the springs only on the box which was the part number which i had to look up via RE to make sure i knew which ones were front and rear,but now what i have which i NEVER had was serious bumpsteer and some death wobble so something isnt right.Ill post a pic of my order conformation and tell me if it sounds right,but is there a difference in height between the 4dr and 2dr models? Cus if im reading it right it says they gave me springs for a 4.5" lift,no?

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
yes, usually 1" difference between 4dr and 2dr due to the weight difference. Looks like you ordered the 4 1/2" for the 2dr.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah those springs give a 2 door a 4.5 inch lift. Maybe even more if you don't have heavy bumpers and all that good stuff.

I think you should either try to return those springs and get some that will net you the 3.5" on your 2 door, or add in whatever parts you're missing to make the 4.5" lift work.

I think it will help members give you a better advice if you list all the suspension components you have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, usually 1" difference between 4dr and 2dr due to the weight difference. Looks like you ordered the 4 1/2" for the 2dr.
Ok so its not just me.I said the same thing to the salesman and he seemed clueless.I told him these dont look right and i dont think they are correct.A 1" difference goes a LONG way with lifting a Jeep in my eyes and i believe this is a big problem.My wheels look very small now because i have so much extra wheel well space,a hell of alot more than i did and i had my height sitting just where i wanted it.So now i have to ask wtf is my next move? Im not tryin to buy all new springs and i highly doubt they are gonna help me out now that the springs have been installed.IDK where to go from here...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
That lift on a 2 door is close to 5". And that is after being on a 4 door for a couple of years. If you do not have adjustable upper rear control arms, you need to get a pair and get the installed. I loved that lift. On both rigs.

Bob K.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah those springs give a 2 door a 4.5 inch lift. Maybe even more if you don't have heavy bumpers and all that good stuff.

I think you should either try to return those springs and get some that will net you the 3.5" on your 2 door, or add in whatever parts you're missing to make the 4.5" lift work.

I think it will help members give you a better advice if you list all the suspension components you have.
Honestly,i dont want my jeep lifted 4.5" cus thats just asking to have to upgrade alot of parts now,correct?Im guessing my driveshaft is probably at a horrible angle now.I was even considering staying at 3" before i chose to to with the 3.5" cus i do some wheeling but i dont go crazy and i do alot of driving with my Jeep.Also,if these springs are now 1" higher than i originally had wouldnt that explain why i have ridiculous bumpsteer and some death wobble? Cus i NEVER had the issue before

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That lift on a 2 door is close to 5". And that is after being on a 4 door for a couple of years. If you do not have adjustable upper rear control arms, you need to get a pair and get the installed. I loved that lift. On both rigs.

Bob K.
Thats the problem lol i dont have any adjustable control arms.All i have is the fixed lower front control arm that came with my original Rough Country lift and im not about to start buying all these new parts cus the company messed up lol ive been havin nothing but bad luck lately with my Jeep and this is the icing on the cake along with my front end shaking at high speeds because i am almost positive my treads on my tires are wearing uneven and choppy so if anything thats next that im upgrading my 33s to 35s.Also, i had ordered a RE adj. trackbar And it didnt fit right i couldnt even adjust it properly i basically had to turn the driverside end in all the way as much as it could go to line it up so now that upgrade seems pointless!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would certainly try to contact 4wd again and try to talk to a sales manager(if that's even possible) and tell them it was for a 2dr and not 4dr. even if it meant to pay for return postage. If you don't already have adjustable components and after market drive shafts, it will cost you some $$$ in the end. Maybe someone that has had return issues with 4wd will speak up

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well listen guys,im not crazy right? These are for sure NOT the springs i was supposed to get.I mean i blame some of this on my self even tho i called the company and checked and they said they were correct along with nothing stated on the actual springs to tell me they were incorrect.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would certainly try to contact 4wd again and try to talk to a sales manager(if that's even possible) and tell them it was for a 2dr and not 4dr. even if it meant to pay for return postage. If you don't already have adjustable components and after market drive shafts, it will cost you some $$$ in the end. Maybe someone that has had return issues with 4wd will speak up
Yes,i am calling them first thing in the morning and i can assure its not going to be a short phone call! They are not gonna put the blame on me and say theres nothing they can do.I spent alot of money with them and its THEIR mess up not mine.Im sure they record their phone calls too so they should go back and listen to me calling about my concern with the springs being the wrong ones.It just sucks because they were kind of a pain to put in plus i gotta take my shocks back out which were even more of a headache cus the bottom bracket is a touch to small and u gotta fight to get them in but i guess it is what it is

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!!! So,just got off the phone with a customer service rep who i explained my whole situation to and he pulled up my invoice and right off the bat he told me that those are for sure not the correct springs i recieved.Now,because it is Sunday he said theres nothing he can do but is making a note on my account so when i call tomorrow morning all the info will be there and i shouldnt have an issue swapping out with the RIGHT springs.Just gonna hope they stick to their word and dont pull any funny crap!

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's stressful. Try to get your mind off it until tomorrow. It sounds like they'll make good on it. I hate when things like this happen too but, knowing they'll work it out and being able to put it into perspective will make your Sunday a whole lot better! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea it really sucks running into all these problems at once and i hope it all works out for me! Like i said what really bothers me is the fact i have death wobble and serious bumpsteer now when i never had it with the 3.5" springs.I know its all in relation to the geometry of my trackbar and draglink which from thia picture of my jeep it looks like when the proper springs go in both these components should be a little more paralell to eachother

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
This is what you should ordered.

RE1370 JK 3.5" 2DR 2.5" 4DR Front Coil Springs/pair
RE1375 JK 3.5" 2DR 2.5" 4DR Rear Coil Springs/pair

Good luck on the return. You may have to take a hit for restocking. But that would be marginal comparably. Do you have a 4wheelparts close. Same parent company.

Did you ask, when you originally purchased them, the questions that these springs would give a 3.5" lift on a two door. If so, you may, if you feel like all the work, get the recording from the sales mgr and prove it. Then you can get everything on their dime swapped (highly unlikely).

I would just get a RMA number and a call tag for pick up. Swap them out and be done. A new alignment is going to happen.

Namaste,

Allen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts