Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum a few days ago asking questions about a rusty TJ. Today a newly available TJ popped up on my search. It was WAY more than I was planning to spend and as I drove to check it out I told myself I would only buy it if it was basically perfect.

So I bought a Jeep today. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Oh. And it is a RUBICON. :) 89,000 miles.

The only rust to speak of is on the front and rear aftermarket bumpers. They could use some care and fresh paint. But the frame is in GREAT shape, as is the interior. Everything works. It does have a slight rear main seal leak (drips) for which the seller has offered to split the repair cost.

The owner was meticulous in his care and maintenance. It came with the pictured Warn 8000 lb. "upright" winch, an aftermarket bumper-mounted spare tire carrier with gas cans and Hi-Lift jack. Tires are 33 x 10.50 Toyo Open Country M/T tires on unknown wheels. It also came with 2 other tops...a soft top and a bikini. Bestop floor mats. K&N air filter. A spare fuel pump (he thought he needed it once, but didn't). A CB radio. Windshield is new. Clutch replaced about 2 years ago.

OH...6-speed manual transmission.

Here's what the frame looks like...

Not sure what else to say about my new Jeep, except that I am looking forward to doing some off road driving!

(my apologies to anyone who also reads the wranglertjforum as I posted there, too)

Rob

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
I see the pictures
Aftermarket wheels are they 15 inch not rubicon 16”
Rubicon looking rocker covers but no rubicon letters on hood sides -repaint?

K&N grit passer a bad thing to have

Good luck with that German 6 speed

Snap a picture of the transfer case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Look up Warn 8274, I believe that’s the winch model.

Read up on The OPDA and make sure it isn’t making noise. I swapped it out on my ‘05 unlimited proactively.

As might have been suggested by question about the missing Rubicon badging and question about the transfer case verify that it is a rubi by checking for things like lockers, Dana 44 front axle and 241 transfer case. Those are what makes it different from my nonrubi unlimited. If you snap pictures of those things people can help identify them if you are unable. You can also look up the build sheet with the vin number and see how it was originally equipped.

You will love the extra room of the unlimited, and if you wheel it the extra wheelbase is helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surprised at the negativity from the first reply.

It is a Rubicon. 6th digit is a 6. The letters were peeling up so the owner removed them (I've seen that before). Not repainted. Lockers are in place and functioning.

Thanks for the info about the winch. I have the manual as well.

Yes the wheels are 15" and not original Rubicon. Owner said he replaced them with ones that made for less tire rub at full lock. When the tires need to be replaced, maybe I'll look for a set of take-off Rubi wheels.

Rob

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Hey, teddy..

Great to hear that you found one you really like.. thats what its all about, that and doing the mods you'll enjoy. Can't wait to see some pics, for some reason I can't see them either..

You'll have to do some more research, but if im not mistaken.. your Jeep has a two piece rear main seal.. If so it might even be something you can do with a buddy in the garage... at least it wont be as expensive as other models.

Good luck, Welcome to the forum and don't forget to wave...

Jeff B.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Enjoy it. The frame looks very clean! Welcome to LJ ownership and enjoy that extra 10 inches of wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I see nothing. :crash::blunt::speechless-smiley:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a regular 05 Rubicon with the German 6 spd. transmission. It took a little while to get learn how it likes to be handled when shifting, but I can shift smoothly now.

I have had my Rubi for just over a year and it's coming up on 200k miles in the next month. There is some play in the shift lever when it is up top in third gear especially, but this it is a high mileage transmission and I don't think the shift selectors were known to be tight shifters when they were new.

It does not make any weird whiny noises and shifts smoothly. I have enjoyed my 05 a great deal since I have had it and put over 17k miles on it. Sure... if something did fail on the 6 spd. tranny, there is no cheap fix. Replacements are not cheap like the AX15, but we could always convert to the AX ($) or replace the 6 speed ($$). I'll cross that bridge, if I ever have to, but I am not seeing any signs causing concern right now.

Yours has less than half the mileage mine does. It probably shifts a little tighter than mine and has many miles left in her to go. Be sure to use the recommended fluid.

Congrats on joining the family! You will love driving your new Rubicon!!

P.S.: Don't take a chance on catastrophic engine failure. Do swap out to a new Crown OPDA as one of your first projects ASAP... Use the original factory Cam Position Sensor from the old OPDA. I ran the new sensor with the new OPDA for about 9 months, then started getting a P0300 Random Misfire code and was bucking some. I put the OEM sensor from the old OPDA into the new OPDA two weeks ago. No codes and runs strong and smooth.

I see no pictures either...

·
Registered
759 Posts
No pics, sounds great though. And yeah, Digger can be our own little Eeyore from time to time. ;)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
FWIW.
2005; Sahara Edition Unlimited Rubicon: only 1000 were made in automatic and manual transmission variations.

2003; Tomb Raider Edition: one of the most collectible Jeeps, this was made to promote the movie and not up to 1,100 were made. They have features of Rubicon.

2004-2005; Willys Edition: had standard features with special trims and only 1000 were manufactured.

1995 Rio Grande doesn't count because it has square headlights and is a 4 cylinder. Who would even want one? :puke:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't see a price. I understand if you are keeping that private, but i can't be envious until I know what you paid. For that matter I can't shake my head and say, "Dude you got ripped off."

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I didn't see a price. I understand if you are keeping that private, but i can't be envious until I know what you paid. For that matter I can't shake my head and say, "Dude you got ripped off."
He's embarrassed. He said he paid WAY MORE than he intended to.

p.s. Depends on where you live. I paid $9500 for my one owner Rubi with 123,000 miles. Where I live, that was a steal. They go for $12,000 stock. The purdy red got to me. :)

Attachments

Reactions: tzukows
1 - 20 of 31 Posts