Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sun's going down so I'm probably screwed for the day, but I have a question. I went to install my new fuel pressure regulator (and cut my vent hose in my 4.0 wrangler with a "15 gallon" tank), and everything was going really smooth until I went to pop in the new pressure regulator.

I assumed it would pop into place like the old one popped out, so I gave it a pretty decent shove in there. It never seemed to grab like the old one did. Now I pull it out, and it looks like there's a plastic piece I slid up from the bottom-most o-ring. I can't seem to slide it back down. Is it ruined?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know I pushed that piece up. Also tried blowing through the output line, definitely seems like its no longer a check valve, which is why I'm replacing it.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Yeah, I know I pushed that piece up.
The black, plastic part is spring-loaded. It can be repositioned.

Also tried blowing through the output line, definitely seems like its no longer a check valve, which is why I'm replacing it.
The is no check valve in the FPR. Never was. It is perfectly normal that you can blow thru the FRP backwards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Thanks tango fox. I just wasn't pulling on it quite hard enough.

So if there's no internal check valve, I question if I'm replacing the right part :-/. I assumed there was and thats why it takes a few turns of the ignition to prime.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I can still blow through the output valve, is that normal or a sign that the internal check valve is no good?
There is no check valve in the fuel pressure regulator. The check valve is in the fuel pump. The valve that leaks is usually the pressure relief valve in the FPR. It leaks when it should not and bleeds fuel back into the tank. So you are replacing precisely the correct part.

Lube the o-rings with some engine oil and install the FPR. It should click slightly when it seats. Don't worry if it does not go all the way "home." The clamp will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help Tango, I was in such a hurry to get out there and see if I could get it back in position that I missed the second part of your response about now check valve. Now I have a new problem, went to fill her up, got a good 18.6 gallons, and I've never been able to top 12.5 before, then it started to gush gas out the top of the tank... Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no check valve in the fuel pressure regulator. The check valve is in the fuel pump. The valve that leaks is usually the pressure relief valve in the FPR. It leaks when it should not and bleeds fuel back into the tank. So you are replacing precisely the correct part.

Lube the o-rings with some engine oil and install the FPR. It should click slightly when it seats. Don't worry if it does not go all the way "home." The clamp will take care of the rest.
Well it will not seat... at all. That's where my fuel is coming out of, and not just when I fill up :-/. Bright side is it's not too difficult to pull a full tank.

If I push harder, that spring loaded black plastic piece just gets pushed further up again. Not sure what to do from here... No local stores carry it, and my Jeep is my DD. Guess I'll leave the tank off for now and call Rock Auto in the morning to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Did both old o-rings come out with the original FPR? Sometimes the smaller one stays behind.

Did you lube the new o-rings? You might try the old, small o-ring on the new FPR. And you need to get the black, plastic part pulled down to support the small o-ring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts