Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a coat of wax on my 2011, and some one told me you don't wax a car for the first year, because the paint isn't fully cured.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I put a coat of wax on my 2011, and some one told me you don't wax a car for the first year, because the paint isn't fully cured.
Just asked a local body shop manager about that very thing today. He said the old rule of not waxing for at least 30 days was still good advice. Never heard of waiting a year.....

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
That person (the one that told you to wait a year) is under quite the misconception...

I recently polished, then waxed my new jeep (new as of June 30th)... and in between carnauba wax jobs... I spray with auto detail type wax after washing. I polished first (kind of like a liquid clay bar) because it was built early in the model 2011 model year, and had to survive the weather and lot boys in snow/rain and sun...

As I said, my jeep is new... and I don't know how long I'll keep up this obsessive behaviour... but I just love polishing my Sahara Tan jeep :dance:
:rofl:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Motorcoaches (with paint jobs that cost more than your jeep) say 60 days hand wash only no wax no power washers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your safe. The longest time to wait I've heard is 90 days. Leaving the paint unprotected for a year seems like a bad idea. Most painters recommend mild polishes and glazes instead of wax. They don't want any silicon or petroleum based wax anywhere near there shop.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Your Jeep is a 2011 that was probably built 4 months (or longer) ago. I think you are safe.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "some one told me you don't wax a car for the first year, because the paint isn't fully cured."

that's a bit like saying "don't wash it for a year because it isn't fully dirty"

I've never heard "a year" before.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I claybared and waxed mine the same day i got it like the other post said its been a couple months since it was probally shipped .i figure get it protected from the start .i had a 2003 tacoma before this and always got compliments on how new my trucked look being seven years old

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
The clear coat is fully cured when the Jeep left the factory, it is safe to wax.

If it was a panel that was damaged and repainted then I would suggest waiting before waxing that panel. Curing time for aftermarket paint varies, it would be best to check with the paint mfg. Typically 30-90 days would cover just about any aftermarket paint. HTH

·
Registered
656 Posts
Trust me you are fine.... I am going on a month and have not washed my new Wrangler Unlimited... I'm going to waiting till the new jeep smell goes away.:eek:

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Hell I do some welding side work at a body shop and they wax it the day after it comes out of the paintbooth, now this is for what they call "base coat-clear coat" applications, but I believe its different on other applications, called "single stage" where there is no clear coat, like fire engines for example, we wax ours once a year and some of the "red" comes off on the applicator pad b/c there's no clear coat there, so IMO its fine

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
That person (the one that told you to wait a year) is under quite the misconception...

I recently polished, then waxed my new jeep (new as of June 30th)... and in between carnauba wax jobs... I spray with auto detail type wax after washing. I polished first (kind of like a liquid clay bar) because it was built early in the model 2011 model year, and had to survive the weather and lot boys in snow/rain and sun...

As I said, my jeep is new... and I don't know how long I'll keep up this obsessive behaviour... but I just love polishing my Sahara Tan jeep :dance:
:rofl:
I agree with you, however I've found that my Jeep is happier when it's dirty. I've waxed mine once in the year I've owned it and claybarred once to remove overspray.(oops) Looks great when it gets a bath and the Arizona pinstriping only shows on the black plastic and hardtop.

We've clarified now he can wax the jeep but not why he should?
My thoughts are that he should wax once a year to keep the nice smooth shine and claybar if it feels rough or gritty when it's clean. :dance:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts