Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you guys don't hit the On the Trail section ... I'm heading to Moab May 17-28 and would love to put some faces with names and hit some trails.:thumb:

NC to Moab, May 2012

T

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe...but I've got an all silver 2012 JKUR. I think people may point and talk behind our backs. You would be rolling thru Denver CO. on the 18th-19thish? You going solo?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe...but I've got an all silver 2012 JKUR. I think people may point and talk behind our backs. You would be rolling thru Denver CO. on the 18th-19thish? You going solo?
:rofl: ... hmmm, AGD comes to mind (old SNL skit for the 'youngins' - of course, I'm only 39) - but, I'm not going there. :whistling: :D

Me and a friend from Charlotte are heading out on the 17th and a friend of mine from Boulder is going to join us as we roll through on the 18th. We're 'hoping' to roll into Moab Friday night ... and have a 'Red Bull-fueled' trail run on Saturday before crashing early Saturday night. :thumb:

Another friend of mine is shipping his Land Rover out and will meet up with us on Monday - He and I will probably head backcountry on Tuesday for a couple of days then back into Moab at the end of the week for a couple more trail runs.

But, yeah, let me know if you want to catch up - would love to get a 2-3 more rigs (or more, whatever) to tag along, particularly for the first weekend of trails.

T

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is also silver, so I guess us all doing trails together would look like we were related or something :facepalm: what color is the Landrover?
Niceee ... a hat trick of silvers; can we get a 4th?:D

The Rover is a kinda' different, but cool, dark metallic blue - almost black; totally built up, one of the cooler builds I've seen.

T

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a nice color, my son in Australia has a LR, it's red & he loves it, they are very popular over there.
Pity your friend has to paint his Silver to fit in with us all :thumb:
:rofl: yeah, I'll pass that along - "pity". They are nice trucks. I've had a few and am partial to the Defenders (particularly in Moab ;) ). Prices here are so ridiculous, though.:nonono:

T

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Comac90 said:
In case you guys don't hit the On the Trail section ... I'm heading to Moab May 17-28 and would love to put some faces with names and hit some trails.:thumb:

NC to Moab, May 2012

T
Bummer we will be there the 30th of April thru the 10th of May.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I would love to go with you guys and its perfect because you are heading out of NC but I don't have the armor or a few other things yet to really do it safely. I need a good CB, tire fix it flat patches, armor, recover gear, etc....

Keep me updated, all of this may change between now and May.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
I would love to go with you guys and its perfect because you are heading out of NC but I don't have the armor or a few other things yet to really do it safely. I need a good CB, tire fix it flat patches, armor, recover gear, etc....

Jude,

Although full skids would be great, carefull and attentive tire placement will win the day. I wheeled Moab last year, and will again this year, God willing. I've pretty much got all the use I can out of my stock tank skid, and plan on upgrading it, but I don't have an engine skid yet and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Wheeling the slickrock is unlike anything you've ever experienced. I would encourage you to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Man, I really wish I had the time to drive out to Moab, but 2300 miles is a looooooong drive; and they dont call it "fly over country" for nothing :/
Id rather just fly and get there, rather than taking 3 days to drive. Flight is like $300 RT, if that. It would easily cost that much gas just one way

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

What Agelessstranger said a couple of posts above^^^^^^

I lived in Boulder for 5 yrs and averaged 1 day in Moab every 2 weeks while living there, and he is right. While I wouldn't run something like Pritchett Canyon without a bit of armor, a locker, and a winch, keep in mind a lot (most) of the trails can be run in a Wrangler with nothing more than 33s, a moderate lift, recovery points front and rear, and good spotting (some experience helps).

(Of course, if you're a good driver, 33s may be all you need ... I ran Pritchett once with Matt Petersen of Rockware and he was in his nearly bone stock land rover defender 90 with 33s and, I think, a rear locker and wheeled nearly every obstacle the 'big rigs' did :cool:).

Also, it's worth noting, Land Rover has been taking their stock vehicles (currently LR4s, Range Rovers, and RR Sports) for years out to Moab and running their driving schools on many of the moderately hard trails. A Wrangler is much better equipped out of the box...

T

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
R4D4R said:
Man, I really wish I had the time to drive out to Moab, but 2300 miles is a looooooong drive; and they dont call it "fly over country" for nothing :/
Id rather just fly and get there, rather than taking 3 days to drive. Flight is like $300 RT, if that. It would easily cost that much gas just one way
Yes gas is the largest expense, we have budgeted $1200 for gas.. That's based on $4.00 a gallon, 14mpg, and 4500 miles. Back country permits for the needles cost us $20 bucks.. hotels out and back, food cost the same as if we were home.. $2000 for two weeks in Moab,, I'm on it ,, does anyone really want to go to man made amusement parks,,, NOT. ;)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes gas is the largest expense, we have budgeted $1200 for gas.. That's based on $4.00 a gallon, 14mpg, and 4500 miles. Back country permits for the needles cost us $20 bucks.. hotels out and back, food cost the same as if we were home.. $2000 for two weeks in Moab,, I'm on it ,, does anyone really want to go to man made amusement parks,,, NOT. ;)

I think the time thing is as big of an obstacle. Its hard to take two weeks off at a time :/ Take that $1200 and rent a Jeep when you get out there and spend $500 left over on plane tickets and you dont even have to worry about smashing your own rig up

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
,, I'm on it ,, does anyone really want to go to man made amusement parks,,, NOT. ;)
:nonono: Nature's amusement parks are wayyy more fun. :thumb: :D

I think the time thing is as big of an obstacle. Its hard to take two weeks off at a time :/ Take that $1200 and rent a Jeep when you get out there and spend $500 left over on plane tickets and you dont even have to worry about smashing your own rig up
Except, at least the one time I rented a jeep in Moab, you are limited to what trails they'll let you go on ... The 'hardest' of which is Hells Revenge; no Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, or Rusty Nail - not to mention Pritchett. That was several years ago; maybe that's changed now?

Still ... That's better than nothing if that's the only option.

T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts