Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thinking about making a two week trip to the San Juan mountains last week of June/first week of July.
Would be in the Lake City, Ouray, Telluride, Silverton area, attempting several passes: Engineer, California, Cinnamon, Imogene, Black bear, Ophir, etc,

I did a similar trip summer of 2019 and there was a TON of snow, black bear was still closed third week of July.

How much snow did you guys get this season? Where is the best place to track status (closed/open) of mentioned passes?

Thanks,

Registered
Southwest Colorado had a low snowpack year. Less than 70%. I would expect most of the trails to be open by then but it is best to keep an eye on the trails you want to do.

Sent from my AGS2-L03 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2014 JKUR
San Juan County Road and Bridge Dept. I鈥檓 on my phone at the moment, but they do a great job of updating status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
San Juan County Road and Bridge Dept.
They do a great job of letting people know the status of the trails. Another good resource is bushdocks.com

Reactions: new to jeep

Banned
2021 Rubicon
Southwest Colorado had a low snowpack year. Less than 70%. I would expect most of the trails to be open by then but it is best to keep an eye on the trails you want to do.

Sent from my AGS2-L03 using Tapatalk

Actually snow levels in the San Juans were over 116% of average this year with 102 inches of snow recorded in Ouray. I tire of the doom and gloom put forth by so many. We had a great snow year. I was snowmobiling on feet of snow this past Tuesday. 8-10 inches of fresh snow on top of 4-5 feet of base.

The county is working on the trails. Black Bear does not get plowed, you always have to wait for it to melt out and mid to late July is normal. The Alpine Loop trails on the east side of Hwy 550 will likely all be open the last week of June first week of July. Imogene on the west end is usually open by July 4 but not much earlier.

Premium Member
Actually snow levels in the San Juans were over 116% of average this year with 102 inches of snow recorded in Ouray. I tire of the doom and gloom put forth by so many. We had a great snow year. I was snowmobiling on feet of snow this past Tuesday. 8-10 inches of fresh snow on top of 4-5 feet of base.

The county is working on the trails. Black Bear does not get plowed, you always have to wait for it to melt out and mid to late July is normal. The Alpine Loop trails on the east side of Hwy 550 will likely all be open the last week of June first week of July. Imogene on the west end is usually open by July 4 but not much earlier.
Exactly. It was slightly above average. It got a bit warmer sooner than normal and really melted stuff off fast. Not the best scenario, but not due to not enough snow. BTW to the OP, Cinnamon pass from lake city to silverton is OPEN!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Banned
2021 Rubicon
Exactly. It was slightly above average. It got a bit warmer sooner than normal and really melted stuff off fast. Not the best scenario, but not due to not enough snow. BTW to the OP, Cinnamon pass from lake city to silverton is OPEN!

I wouldn't try it today though,,, I have a couple inches of fresh at my house sitting at 8000 feet. There is likely 8-10 inches in the high country this morning. Gotta love spring in the mountains! I also would not say it got warmer any sooner than average. I have been here almost 20 years and have seen it go off way sooner. This is still very much normal. I will still be riding snowmobile for my birthday at the end of May and will get a token June ride in. I have only missed a June ride twice in 20 years.

Banned
2021 Rubicon
Still a fair a mount of snow in the San Juans. People are running the trail from Silverton to Lake City and on the west side Yankee Boy basin is plowed out. I snowmobiled California Gulch and Placer Gulch yesterday. IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_1003.JPG

Banned
2021 Rubicon
More snow yesterday and today. They even closed Hwy 550 for a while. Was planning to ride Sat 5/22 but too much weather. Good for my sledding, not so good for getting jeep roads open...

Registered
This is the report I am referring to. They did receive snow yesterday which will help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
This is the report I am referring to. They did receive snow yesterday which will help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
That isnt indicative of the amount of snow received. The area is was actually slightly below on liquid while above on actual snow. The late winter and early spring was an.avwrage of 8 degrees higher than normal which lead to lower elevations metering sooner.

Banned
2021 Rubicon
That isnt indicative of the amount of snow received. The area is was actually slightly below on liquid while above on actual snow. The late winter and early spring was an.avwrage of 8 degrees higher than normal which lead to lower elevations metering sooner.

It wasn't a "late winter", or "early spring". That looks mostly like bad data for fear mongering, very popular these days. In early December we had TONS of snow. I plow driveways locally and worked almost 10 day straight before Christmas plowing 4-6 feet of snow at 8000 feet. We had a lull until spring (mid Feb), which is common. There is no early spring, this is very average. I can still access tons of snowpack on the snowmobile, just like almost every year for the last 20 I have been doing so. We likely picked up almost 2 more feet of heavy wet spring snow this weekend. I will be going to play in it early this week and will post pics. The drought is pure fiction...

Premium Member
It wasn't a "late winter", or "early spring". That looks mostly like bad data for fear mongering, very popular these days. In early December we had TONS of snow. I plow driveways locally and worked almost 10 day straight before Christmas plowing 4-6 feet of snow at 8000 feet. We had a lull until spring (mid Feb), which is common. There is no early spring, this is very average. I can still access tons of snowpack on the snowmobile, just like almost every year for the last 20 I have been doing so. We likely picked up almost 2 more feet of heavy wet spring snow this weekend. I will be going to play in it early this week and will post pics. The drought is pure fiction...
What it was was bad typing. Should have read late winter/early spring MELTED the lower elevations earlier. Changes the context. That's actual data, Feb and March highs were in fact much higher temps than average. Look that data up yourself. I got that directly off the NWS data from the weather station in my hood. My hood in FL had plenty of snow, but by March 3 I had zero snow pack in my yard and where I am at 8k feet I typically am still sitting with 3 feet in my yard at that time on a like year. We were completely melted off much earlier than normal. I also follow Michael Maxfield who does the plowing of the passes on the Silverton side, snd he has made several comments about how little snow they are running into. Cinnamon they got open a full month ahead of normal.

Banned
2021 Rubicon
What it was was bad typing. Should have read late winter/early spring MELTED the lower elevations earlier. Changes the context. That's actual data, Feb and March highs were in fact much higher temps than average. Look that data up yourself. I got that directly off the NWS data from the weather station in my hood. My hood in FL had plenty of snow, but by March 3 I had zero snow pack in my yard and where I am at 8k feet I typically am still sitting with 3 feet in my yard at that time on a like year. We were completely melted off much earlier than normal. I also follow Michael Maxfield who does the plowing of the passes on the Silverton side, snd he has made several comments about how little snow they are running into. Cinnamon they got open a full month ahead of normal.

Believe what you want I guess. They plowed through over 10 feet of snow to open Cinnamon, just like usual... Certainly there is no manipulated data out there...

This is going to be just one more internet site I am not going to be able to participate in any longer. People are so quick to buy into a crisis and so quick to simply believe what they read over what they actually see. Good Luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the input/snow reports of local guys with first hand information.

Reactions: dfwislander

Premium Member
Believe what you want I guess. They plowed through over 10 feet of snow to open Cinnamon, just like usual... Certainly there is no manipulated data out there...

This is going to be just one more internet site I am not going to be able to participate in any longer. People are so quick to buy into a crisis and so quick to simply believe what they read over what they actually see. Good Luck
Dude, the data is what it actually is. No one is crying wolf, nor does the data suggest crisis. Facts. Little more snow, than normal, less water than normal. By no means do i want you to take my word for it,, look qt the actual weather station numbers. Higher early temps, earlier melting. Again, look it up. The snow/water chart posted isn't bad data, it reflects the current condition. The plowing of cinnamon report came directly from Michael Maxfield of Silverton who actually did the plowing. Its not my opinion, I'm repeating what THE guy reported. And again, none of this us suggesting any crisis, you are literally blowing this out of proportion. You can't point to anything in this thread anywhere with someone screaming the sky is falling or climate change is upon us! Chill man.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts