• NO

Votes: 53 48.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to keep this simple. Something tells me dealer insight into how many people purchase an extended warranty is way off. Feel free to add context below (+any deal add-ons pre-delivery)...

·
Registered
87 Posts
What do you get extra on an extended warranty that is not covered with manufactures warranty for the first 3 yr 36k? Maybe rental car? Towing? Just curious.
If you want it can't you just get it before the 3 yr 36 k runs out ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
We bought the lifetime because plan to keep jeep 15-20 years, and lots of expensive electronics .
Water pump already failed at 4K miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What do you get extra on an extended warranty that is not covered with manufactures warranty for the first 3 yr 36k? Maybe rental car? Towing? Just curious. If you want it can't you just get it before the 3 yr 36 k runs out ?
After the first year is up, the warranty price increases. You don't get anything extra, other than a longer warranty period.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought the life time with my 15 Willys. I only plan to do very light mods to it and shouldnt run a risk of voiding out my warranty. I plan on keeping it a really long time so like the idea of the warrant.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought the lifetime warranty, but cancelled it within the 60 days. There was too much fine print, it comes with a 5yr/100000mi, $3500 buys a lot of repairs not including the $100 deductible, and it will probably get modded out within the next 10 years anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the lifetime warranty, but cancelled it within the 60 days. There was too much fine print, it comes with a 5yr/100000mi, $3500 buys a lot of repairs not including the $100 deductible, and it will probably get modded out within the next 10 years anyway.
Did you have any issue cancelling it? Did you get any other addons?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did you have any issue cancelling it? Did you get any other addons?
No, just went to a dealer and said I wanted to cancel, it was within the 60 days. They credited my loan company for what I paid.

My wife wanted GAP coverage and that is the only extra coverage the jeep has. I wouldn't have got it, but she insisted.

I think both can be purchased for less online...

·
Registered
508 Posts
No, just went to a dealer and said I wanted to cancel, it was within the 60 days. They credited my loan company for what I paid.

My wife wanted GAP coverage and that is the only extra coverage the jeep has. I wouldn't have got it, but she insisted.

I think both can be purchased for less online...
I canceled by mail.Called the phone # in the packet they sent me.They said I could send them the info they wanted and sign,date and mail.I did it with in the 60 days and they also credited my loan.To me not worth the 2400 to 3400 dollars that they typically go for.To each there own.Less than 2 grand would be hard to pass up though.Ive saved alot of $ by not buying warranties on all the crap Ive bought over the years.But some people are black clouds,everything they get goes bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unlikely to buy an extended warranty on my 15 JKUR.

These are really just insurance policies and the economics do not favor the buyer.

They are for peace of mind and hassle avoidance, which is something I do value and may decide to pay for in the future.

R

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
We bought a lifetime bumper-to-bumper for our '13 JK. Since we plan to keep it for at least 10+ years the cost came out to less than 55-cents per day. Well worth the $1,987 price I paid through another forum member 2 years ago, IMHO.

As I've said in other warranty threads, for every Chrysler vehicle I've ever owned an extended warranty would have paid for itself by the time I sold it or traded it in.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Buy an extended warranty? Not just NO but HEEEEELLLLLL NO! I didn't opt for the lobotomy either. You're buying an insurance policy that states the only way to come out ahead is to be behind. One of the biggest scams in the auto business. Same with gap insurance. If you're starting out that far behind you got no business buying anything. It's a shame so many are so poorly financially informed.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Yes, I am going to keep this Jeep a long time. I got the Lifetime 100 Ded warranty not from my dealer but from a guy that used to be on this forum. Clay gave me a great deal.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've done it both ways. I haven't decided what I'll do on my JKRHR yet. I think it will mostly depend upon the price.

We got a hell of a deal on the lifetime for the wife's Challenger, so who knows what will happen...

Exco

·
Registered
656 Posts
A better poll would be "Who here has recouped their money spent on an extended warranty?" I think it would be close to zero. Extended warranties are cash cows for those who sell them (dealers). Why do you think they push them so hard? And for that reason, I am out, I vote no.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Another factor could be is how loaded with options dose you JK have.More electronics more potential for probems.Just sayen.
That's a very good point! Makes more sense to get it in a loaded $50k Rubicon then a base Model $22k sport.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts