Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised when a Mopar rep mentioned "still being able to fold the windshield down like jeeps of old" and so looked up youtube on it. This is what I found, and I thought it was impressive.

How to fold The Windshield of a Jeep Wrangler JK - YouTube

So starting this thread to catalog the fancy/awesome things that JK/JKU can do. If you have come across other such awesome stuff, please post them here. Please also include a textual summary of "what" in your post.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yes, we all know our Jeeps can do that. No one does it because the JK windshield is curved, and much larger overall than the CJs etc. It looks ridiculous to see a JK with the windshield down. There is only one pic floating around here with it down.

·
Premium Member
2011 JKU Sahara 2.5” AEV lift with geo brackets steering stabilizer Warn winch & K&N cool air intake
1,772 Posts
You can take the top and doors off too:)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I knew it could be done.. I've just never actually seen it down until now.. awesome concept, but unfortunately, it terrible.. =(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, we all know our Jeeps can do that. No one does it because the JK windshield is curved, and much larger overall than the CJs etc. It looks ridiculous to see a JK with the windshield down. There is only one pic floating around here with it down.
That's a pretty broad statement, don't you think? This guy obviously didn't know the windshield folds down. I'd wager there are quite a few JK owners that don't know... How will they find out if their salesperson doesn't even know?

Regarding folding the windshield down, I've wheeled with a few people in JK's that fold them down. You can get through tighter spots, and not have to worry about replacing that expensive hunk of glass after a chance meeting with a rock or tree...

But hey, according to you everybody knows this already... :whistling:

·
Registered
176 Posts
we almost have the same user name..lol

I was surprised when a Mopar rep mentioned "still being able to fold the windshield down like jeeps of old" and so looked up youtube on it. This is what I found, and I thought it was impressive.

How to fold The Windshield of a Jeep Wrangler JK - YouTube

So starting this thread to catalog the fancy/awesome things that JK/JKU can do. If you have come across other such awesome stuff, please post them here. Please also include a textual summary of "what" in your post.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I folded the windshield down every chance I got on my CJ-8 and TJ...and intend to do the same with the JK. I've ranted and raved at the Jeep reps every year at the annual Jeep Safari in Moab about how they have made it so hard to drop the windshield on the JK's. Come on...18 bolts just to drop the windshield? That's absurd. And that still leaves the sport bars hanging out there. I will put in a cage that can disconnect from the windshield with just a couple of knobs in my new JK. Options for the bolts on the cover plate include replacing them all with knobs or cutting the plate and fabricating an easily removable brace...haven't figured that one out yet.

With the cj's, there were 2 knobs on the dash...that was it...pop them out and the windshield was down. The TJ's required the sport bars to be disconnected and one bolt on each side of the windshield. I put a sport cage (no connection to the windshield) in my TJ and replaced the bolts on the side of the widshield with knobs. The windshield can be dropped in less than a minute.

If you haven't ever driven with the windshield down, then you don't know what you are missing. It's a totally different experience. Of course, you need to be able to get the windshield down and back up in less than an hour, which requires some modifications to the JK. You need to be able to do it quickly on the trail.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yes I knew it.....but I don't plan on ever doing it.

Looks like way too much work and the curved windshield looks kinda goofy. Plus I rock a 3/4 helmet and goggles on my motorcycle. I've had more than my fair share of bugs in the face. No thanks...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Sorry dude, but in my opinion, what looks ridiculous is seeing a jeep on the trails with the top on, windows all rolled up...and the windshield upright. I feel sorry for those folks as I drive by with windblown hair (what little is left), sand in my ears, and bugs in my teeth, exposed by a big grin.

And for the first couple of years after the JK came out, even the Jeep reps at the annual Jeep Safari in Moab could not tell me what needed to be done to fold the windshield.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Uh, ok. Fold it down then :surrender:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
That's a pretty broad statement, don't you think? This guy obviously didn't know the windshield folds down. I'd wager there are quite a few JK owners that don't know... How will they find out if their salesperson doesn't even know?

Regarding folding the windshield down, I've wheeled with a few people in JK's that fold them down. You can get through tighter spots, and not have to worry about replacing that expensive hunk of glass after a chance meeting with a rock or tree...

But hey, according to you everybody knows this already... :whistling:
Because there is a hinge on it. Clearly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The windshields originally folded down so they could be more efficiently stored on ships bound for Europe in WWII. There is no practical reason to fold the windshield down. Further, if you don't put it back correctly the jeep will leak.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The windshields originally folded down so they could be more efficiently stored on ships bound for Europe in WWII. There is no practical reason to fold the windshield down. Further, if you don't put it back correctly the jeep will leak.
Oh darn, fun isn't practical?

·
Registered
503 Posts

Looks like way too much work and the curved windshield looks kinda goofy. Plus I rock a 3/4 helmet and goggles on my motorcycle. I've had more than my fair share of bugs in the face. No thanks...
I had some kind of bug nail my in the face while on my Harley this summer and I could have sworn somebody shot me with a BB. Next day I got nailed in the chest by a yellow jacket and it stung me. Nature of the beast I guess.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So I'm interested... why make it a functional (albeit difficult) foldable windshield then? Seems like a lot of engineering for something that is rarely used.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think we're missing the point here. Obviously, you are not going to drive down California freeways or the open roads of Nevada at 90 mph with a folded windshield. It's only something you do on the trails. I doubt that I've ever driven over 25 mph with the windshield down...most often probably 5-10 mph...if that. That's why Jeep needs to make it EASIER to fold the windshield...not harder. It's something you do once you leave the pavement and then the windshield is put back up when you reach faster roads again. It is totally impractical to have to take an hour to drop the windshield at the trailhead. Personally, I prefer to have an open feeling rather than looking at the world through a glass-covered picture frame. By making it so difficult to fold the windshield, Jeep is reducing the fun factor of their vehicle.

I was driving down the highway at 65 mph with the windshield up and no doors on my Scrambler once when a sizeable bug bounced off the side mirror and ricocheted right into my face. Very painful. So we should probably keep our doors on and windows rolled up too.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So I'm interested... why make it a functional (albeit difficult) foldable windshield then? Seems like a lot of engineering for something that is rarely used.
A friend in Moab with close ties to Jeep told me that Chrysler wanted to completely eliminate the folding windshield when the JK was being designed. It was partially (or completely) with his input that they agreed to keep it.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
I've had my tj 8 years, and have never folded the windshield down. Its not that I wouldn't like too, I just don't want to catch a branch to the face on the trail. Besides I've got free glass replacement

·
Registered
873 Posts

+1
I never realized how much work it is to fold. Did previous models (CJ, YJ, TJ) fold easier? I need a power folding ws, because I'm lazy. lol :hide:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts