Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A former student of mine came back into town for spring break. He has the exact same year/model wrangler as me (04 X). Anyway, he said he had made some modifications since he left. He told me he was running 35's on a 2.5" OME lift without any rub or bottoming out and that it rode and handled great. I told him there was no way and that I had been stressing out about how to fit 33's with 2.5". After school he brought it over so I could see it for myself. I saw it and drove it... the thing's bad ass. Nice "full" look, no rub, great handling and ride. He's even talking about moving up in tire size. This is what he's running:

2.5" OME suspension (heavy)
1" coil spacers
steel wheels with 3.5" backspacing
4.88 gears
steering stabilizer
35" pro comp tires
Banks cat back exhaust

That's it! Am I missing something here? Let me know what you guys think.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
He has 3.5" of total suspension lift, maybe 4" if the springs have a high spring rate. That's enough to run 35" tires on the street but offroad, they'd rub. :)

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Maybe he only runs the "Geico" offroads.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
So easy, a hummer can do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgive my ignorance, by "Geico" do you mean the less-than-hardcore trails? So as long as he doesn't do any "serious" rock-crawling he'll be fine?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ditto!

He has 3.5" of total suspension lift, maybe 4" if the springs have a high spring rate. That's enough to run 35" tires on the street but offroad, they'd rub. :)
That is a great set up for almost any Wal-Mat Parking lot.

The Low CG helps.

Tell this young man if he is ever in Texas to look me up to a tiny trail ride.

I'd bet by the time we are done he will be looking for a 6"LA kit or a new pair of front tires.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's the jeep in question. It looks like it has plenty of room. What'ya think?
For the street it's fine. Off road it's gonna rub like crazy - especially if it's disco'd, unless it is bumpstopped for almost no uptravel..

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
33's should be ok... But I've seen guys running RE3.5" springs with JKS control arms(all 8) and running 35's with a little rubbing.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
i see a lot of people talking from hearsay and not from experience ... its completely possible for that setup to work ... i ran stock suspension and 33s for over a year with little rub ... maybe 1/8' out of the bottom of the fender flares was all that was worn out. highway speeds never heard them hit, offroad they would grab the fender flares but they wouldnt hit the fender itself ...

ran 4" bs wheels. 33x1250x15 bfg MTs

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i see a lot of people talking from hearsay and not from experience ... its completely possible for that setup to work ... i ran stock suspension and 33s for over a year with little rub ... maybe 1/8' out of the bottom of the fender flares was all that was worn out. highway speeds never heard them hit, offroad they would grab the fender flares but they wouldnt hit the fender itself ...

ran 4" bs wheels. 33x1250x15 bfg MTs
I thought you had Springs from a WJ that gave you a couple of inches of lift??

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
where the heck is mr. clifford? i believe his wife jeeps only has 3.5 inches of lift and it runs 35's and flexes like crazy from the pics i've seen.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That set up on 33"

I ran my Rubi on 285 MTRs and when I was flexed out I could still rub the front and the back.

I just don't se how you could wheel that thing had on 35s and not rub badly.

What tire is he running and what is the actaul heigth.

We have all seen how some tires at not as tall and wide as they calime to be!

·
Registered
359 Posts
hmm...7" and 36s will do that though >..<

And so will my 38's :D

If you dont do rockcrawling and extreme flex you can get away with alot less lift. I strictly mud run and bog track. Could i get my tires to scrub? Prolly, but usually only after im airborne.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
There is an easy way to find out how much rub you will get. Drive a steering tire unto a floor jack. Block your rear, opposite, tire. Now raise your floor jack until a tire hits somewhere. That will let you know very quickly, what you have, and don't have, for flex. Or, if you have a 42" tire handy, to drive up on, you will see what ya got. This is a 4" lift, and 33" tires, and all of them are on the ground. That is the maximum flex I can get, the tires are stuffed.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
there is a project "lowrider" on another forum that is turning out very nicely. 3" of lift with 35's and tons of flex with no rubbing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts