Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been researching various owner forums, dealer service bullitins, and consumer reports. Ive come to the conclusion that the 3.6l Pentastar found in Grands, Caliber RTs and others since 2007 and now in 2012 Wranglers are very picky and unreliable. The block casting process is known to create very porous surfaces and hinder internal parts as a result among other problems. Much like the Liberty and comamder 3.7l that were eventually abandoned because of reliability...you have to ask yourself, Why? Why did Chrysler dump our beloved 4.0l? Polution and conservation? Nah thats BS. Ill deal with the changes because I have to, but I wont like it.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Why did Chrysler dump our beloved 4.0l? Polution and conservation? Nah thats BS.
I believe the answer is "manufacturing cost" and "underpowered for the JKU." I'll leave the rest alone. :whistling:

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I think you're very confused, especially concerning the 3.7.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I thought the reason they went with the 3.6 Pentastar was the fact that it had proven itelf in the GC?

Bummer that you've decided it's unreliable.
Do you own one that has failed? I'm digging mine so far.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The reason was to have one 6 cylinder engine instead of 4.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
daggo66 said:
I think you're very confused, especially concerning the 3.7.
I agree. I've never heard anything bad about the 3.7. Personally I have two vehicles with the 4.7 and it's a great engine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about the "jeep flu" common primarily to the 3.7 and chrysler has no answer for. Yup my inlaws bought a brand new 07 comander in 07 and this mysterious jeep flu as its called has prevented them frpm driving it regularily. Five years later, this comander that runs when it wants to has only 27k on it. So sad. Too bad Maine has no lemon law

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Interesting---your family has kept a "FAILURE" for over 4 years, because of a LEMON LAW LACK--,but

How about the "jeep flu" common primarily to the 3.7 and chrysler has no answer for. Yup my inlaws bought a brand new 07 comander in 07 and this mysterious jeep flu as its called has prevented them frpm driving it regularily. Five years later, this comander that runs when it wants to has only 27k on it. So sad. Too bad Maine has no lemon law
Continue to complain aboutit--or youdo-

Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight, cause you don't believe in guns !!don't ya think ??

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The 3.6 is an aluminum cast engine, the 3.7 is iron. I googled your "Jeep flu". The only place it came up in context (the rest were actual cases of the flu), was on a Jeep Commander forum and it was about a transmission issue, not the engine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No not hating anything about Pentastar. I just want input. Alot of negative things ive found. Then add the experience from the 3.7 whicj was the next big thing, just think chysleris hanging us out to dry changing out motors again. New tech is nice, but why, im a simple guy, and I only need simple changes. I dont know if im onboard with the 24v thing in a Jeep yet.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I smell a troll.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Very odd. I already pointed out that your 3.7 issue is in fact a transmission issue, yet you continue. Furthermore your profile says you have a 2010 JK which means you have a 3.8, yet you want the 4.0. :confused:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Jeep Flu is unsolved. Chrysler has admitted that something exists but has not been able to diagnos the problem sucessfully. Wish it was the temp sensor in the tranny like they initially thought. Then the Jeep would be fixed. Unfortunately several years later, several dealer service appointments, the problem still exists. The mechanic in the shop reffered to it as the Mysterious Jeep Flu. More detailed research beyond "google" will show numerous owner complaints and service problems with the FLU. Glad it isnt my comander, sad its my inlaws that cant afford a new rig yet : (

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The Jeep Flu is unsolved. Chrysler has admitted that something exists but has not been able to diagnos the problem sucessfully. Wish it was the temp sensor in the tranny like they initially thought. Then the Jeep would be fixed. Unfortunately several years later, several dealer service appointments, the problem still exists. The mechanic in the shop reffered to it as the Mysterious Jeep Flu. More detailed research beyond "google" will show numerous owner complaints and service problems with the FLU. Glad it isnt my comander, sad its my inlaws that cant afford a new rig yet : (
None of which has anything to do with the 3.7.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
?? Their Commander has the 3.7l option silly. it appears to have everything to do with that engine also. I never diagnossed it, and up until the mechanic at Quirk Jeep in Bangor Maine looked at it, I had not even heard of the Jeep Flu. Either way, Im not gonna get into anything further. Jeep Flu, K&N , Casting sand, and leaky doors seem to be a sore note with folks in these forums. I originally wanted additional information from Jeep owners on there Pentastar engines, thats it. then its molded into an arguement I guess. Not trying to bust it down, sorry if it came accross that way guys : /

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:whistling: Interesting---your family has kept a "FAILURE" for over 4 years, because of a LEMON LAW LACK--,but

Continue to complain aboutit--or youdo-

Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight, cause you don't believe in guns !!don't ya think ??

:dance::rofl: JIMBO
The family has kept the failure because there stuck in a 6yr finance obligation. Second they have not got the finances to get out from under the lemon sooner. Things work a little different when you live check to check in a low income state. just saying. Moving on Now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts