Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the sidelines of the new JL rollout. x2 years ago I sold my Jeep JK for a Tacoma 3rd Gen Double Cab to better treat the family.... I told myself I love the Tacoma but if Jeep gets a Diesel... and especially a Diesel w/manual option I will sell the Tacoma for a JLU.
I saw this article and wondering if this will delay or impact the diesel rollout as 'defense legal/finance'.
Thoughts?
Report: FCA diesel engines pollute too much - LeftLaneNews

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't claim to know all of the specifics behind that FCA diesel situation, but I can tell by the headline that the author does not know what they are talking about in that article. The issue with FCA has to do with them not disclosing information to the EPA, NOT that the engine pollutes too much.

That being said, I think this issue will be resolved before the truck is released, since the truck will be released later than the Wrangler.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You still have time to think since the diesel isn't available at JL launch, maybe a few years later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You still have time to think since the diesel isn't available at JL launch, maybe a few years later.
I was not aware of which power plant might be available at launch.... damn.

How about the Hurrican vs penstar? I've seen multiple threads / perspectives on which is the basic, which is the upgrade, which might have manual transmission, any insight on this?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Both Hurricane and Pentastar would be within the torque numbers for the possible manual transmission options (the EcoDiesel currently seems unlikely to come with a manual).

Since the Hurricane is the base engine and the Pentastar is the premium, then the TinyTurbo4 is more likely in the typical 240HP / 250-270lbft torque range of similar setups than the originally hyped 300/300 range of the Alfas that have a slightly different design and more exotic components, which means the Hurricane will likely trade power for (hopefully) improved reliability. Which is kinda what many of us were saying from the start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts