Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After filling up at a local Kangaroo Gas Station, my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy's Ed. started acting sluggish and then after I turned it off (about 2 miles down the road), it wouldn't turn on again. Had it towed to the dealer where they told me it had diesel gas in it. I went to the gas station and they claim that i selected diesel at the pump so that's what was pumped. My argument is that the diesel nozzle will not even fit in my tank so how could I have done that (even if I just wasn't paying attention which is what they accused me of).
Is there somewhere in the manufacturers specs that shows it won't fit? I'm out $800 in repairs and want to prove their liability. I feel like the pump could've malfunctioned and showed that I selected diesel when i didn't.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you get a receipt? That should show the price per gallon and grade of what you bought. If there was diesel in the unleaded there would be other cars effected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't select a receipt at the pump, but the gas station is saying their transaction shows i selected diesel.
I just thought the diesel nozzle wouldn't even fit in the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Florida and the Diesel nozzle is larger, that's why I'm trying to get them to understand it had to be a malfunction in the pump. My wife tried to make it fit in her 2015 Dodge Journey and it wouldn't.

·
Registered
150 Posts
go back to the station and make sure the nozzle that they claim you used IS bigger and will not fit in your tank. Film it if you have to. There may be liability if they have the wrong nozzle installed. Around here I would have to select the wrong fuel/grade AND hose at the pump in order for that to happen.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Up in our neck, the diesel pump is next to, but separate from the unleaded pumps, and has a green pump handle.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Easiest thing to do is find a friend with a wrangler and go see if it is possible to put a diesel nozzle in the tank? I know around Maine the nozzles are different sizes.

Only thing is that some gas stations you can select diesel or gas... Not saying you hit the wrong one but it is possible. Different gas stations have the fuel qualities in different orders so you hit premium instead of regular to charge you more.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Up in our neck, the diesel pump is next to, but separate from the unleaded pumps, and has a green pump handle.
I believe that would be the case everywhere, our diesel pumps are bright yellow. If they all used the same pump handle there would be a lot of cross contamination in your fuel.

They make diesel Wranglers so the diesel pump may fit. The delivery truck could have also filled the unleaded tank at the gas station with diesel. It would be the first time that has happened. You may want to find out if anyone else had the same problem at that gas station.

·
Registered
152 Posts
While I can't say for certain that your jeep is this way, I've seen a guy put diesel in his gas truck before with little difficulty. The nozzle didn't go in all the way like a gas one will, but it went in enough to fill his tank. Having it marked diesel and a green handle gives them more than enough deniability in this situation. Also, that price seems high for that job, but maybe it's just where you live.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In the midwest I only see the large nozzles at truck stops then only in the large truck pumps( pumps set up for semis and large straight bed trucks).

On the car pumps those nozzles are the same size regardless of product. There does not seem to be a uniform color for diesel on the handle.

I get fuel at a farmers CoOP (MFA) that has a diesel pump with two different sized nozzles. One that is too large for a jeep and delivers at a much higher volume very quickly and one that is a normal "car" size for diesel cars . When I fill my truck it takes twice as long using the smaller size.

I once stopped at a gas station near Chicago and started to pump when the owner ran out telling me to stop. Asking what fuel I wanted told him diesel. Pump was labeled diesel and handle had a Green plastic over on it. He said he just stopped selling diesel that morning and had not yet switched his signs/ pumps. Glad I got it stopped but was not a happy camper. Talked to him about putting the pump out of service but as one nozzle gave you unleaded gas he did not want to take it out of service. Ended up getting a box of his trash bags and putting a trash bag around the diesel nozzles and put duct tape over the word diesel on his pump.

Sorry this happened to you.

Some pumps with multi fuel are confusing and I do wish they had a uniform color on the nozzles.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Exactly the same in my area and the diesel pump nozzle will fit. The diesel pumps are clearly marked.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think there is a little confusion on most people's part on the size. There are 3 sizes of nozzles out there. There is the large dedicated OTR truck diesel nozzles. This is obviously larger. There is a smaller diesel nozzle that is used for most diesel light trucks and cars, this is slightly larger than the standard gas nozzle. Most casual gas users don't notice the difference in size between the 2 but there is a difference. I do and have owned many diesels. A standard gas nozzle will not trigger the release of the inner cover of many diesel filler neck covers. These covers are standard on many diesels cars BMW and VW are the ones that I have personal experience with. These vehicles come with an adapter that is usually stuffed into the spare tire compartment that will allow you, if it so happens you come across a diesel pump with a gas nozzle. This has happened to me 1 time in about 1 million miles of diesel fill ups.

Conversely the Diesel nozzle will not seat properly in the filler neck of most gas cars and jeeps today, light trucks excluded. The neck is smaller and is noticeable to not fit.

Next time you are at a pump try for yourself.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just tried to put diesel in my JKU. Nozzle wouldn't fit. But it was a separate nozzle to the gas nozzle on the same pump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most gas stations that also sell diesel will have the same size nozzle for both gas & diesel. The older stations may have the larger diesel nozzle at some of the pumps, or at truck stops. With so many cars and light pickups that are diesel powered, they use the "smaller" nozzle. And, you can never trust the color of the nozzle boot. I have both a diesel pickup with the large opening for the big nozzle, and a JK Wrangler, and never pumped in the wrong fuel on either, knock on wood. I'm always careful on what I select..

Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Most gas stations that also sell diesel will have the same size nozzle for both gas & diesel. The older stations may have the larger diesel nozzle at some of the pumps, or at truck stops. With so many cars and light pickups that are diesel powered, they use the "smaller" nozzle. And, you can never trust the color of the nozzle boot. I have both a diesel pickup with the large opening for the big nozzle, and a JK Wrangler, and never pumped in the wrong fuel on either, knock on wood. I'm always careful on what I select..

Good luck with your problem.
I am sorry this is not true. The diesel nozzle at all gas stations is larger. I think most people think it is really large, but it is just a little bit larger. Just enough not to fit. If the gas nozzle and the diesel nozzle are the same size most of the newer diesel cars would not let the nozzle enter the filler neck. They have a secondary valve inside the filler neck that requires the slightly larger diesel nozzle to release the catch on the valve. As I said above this has happened to me just 1 time in in the last 10 years of diesel car/suv ownership and it was a temporary thing as noted on the pump and i had to use my finger alongside the nozzle to force open the valve in the filler neck. I have owned diesel trucks for 20 years and seen this system evolve to help consumers not make a mistake.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am sorry this is not true. The diesel nozzle at all gas stations is larger. I think most people think it is really large, but it is just a little bit larger. Just enough not to fit. If the gas nozzle and the diesel nozzle are the same size most of the newer diesel cars would not let the nozzle enter the filler neck. They have a secondary valve inside the filler neck that requires the slightly larger diesel nozzle to release the catch on the valve. As I said above this has happened to me just 1 time in in the last 10 years of diesel car/suv ownership and it was a temporary thing as noted on the pump and i had to use my finger alongside the nozzle to force open the valve in the filler neck. I have owned diesel trucks for 20 years and seen this system evolve to help consumers not make a mistake.
So your saying that you can't pump gas into a diesel by mistake??

Good luck with that theory...ask the guys on the diesel forums that are out thousands of dollars for new injectors.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So your saying that you can't pump gas into a diesel by mistake??

Good luck with that theory...ask the guys on the diesel forums that are out thousands of dollars for new injectors.
If you read my post I said older light trucks excluded. But yes in my last 3 diesel cars and suv, you cannot pump gas into them. The nozzle has to release the locks on both sides of the filler neck. The gas nozzle is not big enough to release both. My 2001 dodge you can pump anything into it. Will run on cooking oil if you want...

I'm out...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was at the CDJR just a few weeks ago grabbing a few parts, and a guy came in with a brand new diesel ram he had pumped gas into. Pretty upset at how much it was costing him. So you can pump gas into a brand new diesel. It doesn't fit no, but if you are really preoccupied you "can" pump gas into a diesel and vice versa

1 - 20 of 27 Posts