Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's not that crazy. Do some research on a 4bt cummins swap. Also, there's a company that sells kits and engines for swapping in a Volkswagon TDI diesel I believe. I can't remember their name though.

Edit: the TDI swap is by cotybuilt. They clam 28-33 mpg and 265 ftlb torque.

·
Registered
162 Posts
People have done it. But putting in a cummins is more than just an engine. You need to beef up pretty much everything on the drive train to deal with the extra power and the crazy amounts of vibration. I'm talking motor mounts transmission axles etc. Pretty much everything will need an upgrade and you'll still be left with a loud rough engine in a body that's not made for it.

Not trying to be negative. I would love a diesel tj or lj. Just do your research and do it right the first time

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting ready to go to school for diesel mechanics and technology. I was thinking more of a volkswagen diesel

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm getting ready to go to school for diesel mechanics and technology. I was thinking more of a volkswagen diesel
I'd look into the cotybuilt website then. If I was going to swap a diesel in, that would be it. Unless I was going to convert it to a truck too like I want too haha.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't imagine that 750 lb. 4B Cuumins would be much fun to drive around in in a short wheelbase jeep

·
Registered
69 Posts
My son is doing one with a OM167 Mercedes out of an old 300 TD. He has the engine (and a spare), motor mounts and transmisson. Just has to get time to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts