Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Towards the end of the decade, a diesel-powered Wrangler will arrive. And around 2022 we’ll be seeing a proper gasoline-electric Wrangler hybrid.
Wow, the time lags.

Though, a proper hybrid will be interesting, if it gets the mileage I use to get with my hybrid AWD SUV; like up in the 30's.

·
Registered
370 Posts
can't wait!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
So worst case we are about 4 years away for a diesel wrangler. I guess FCA has finally understood that the wrangler community will keep their cash flow going...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The diesel JK has been selling in Europe for years.... Will it ever get to the USA?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I'd love to see a Pure Electric Wrangler. Motors at the Wheel Hubs... Portals??? NO driveline!! Full Independent Suspension. Computers to control traction. NO oil. Hell NO fluids!! Run it upside down. Run it submerged..... Endless possibilities.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I'm not liking the electric power steering.
Its been around for over 40 years. Fords done it. Toyota too. Power steering uses hydraulic fluid thru a pump. Normally run off the engine thru a belt. BUT use an electric motor. Eliminate the belt AND don't drain power from the engine. Draw from the battery instead. And setup the alternator to only charge when you do not want ALL the power to accelerate. Better yet... use regenerative charging as you slow and brake.

Electric Power Steering can be far more efficient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its been around for over 40 years. Fords done it. Toyota too. Power steering uses hydraulic fluid thru a pump. Normally run off the engine thru a belt. BUT use an electric motor. Eliminate the belt AND don't drain power from the engine. Draw from the battery instead. And setup the alternator to only charge when you do not want ALL the power to accelerate. Better yet... use regenerative charging as you slow and brake. Electric Power Steering can be far more efficient.
I used to sell Mazda and when the new Mazda 6 came out in 2014 it had a electronic power steering that me and my customers on test drive would ask. Why dose the steering wheel move so much when I hit a small bump

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm not liking the electric power steering.

The article doesn't specifically say the Wrangler is getting it, just that EPS is being used on new vehicles to increase efficiency.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My daily driver has electric steering and it feels fine. The steering firmness changes when in sport mode. So maybe a flashcal could adjust the Wrangler's steering firmness as well? This would be good for oversized wheels and tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Diesel...

Thought I might see if we can leave the electric steering thread and go with DIESEL....
Has anyone noticed that the diesel was originally due in 2017, then 2018, now before 2020....they are already being manufactured in Ohio. We just can't get one in the US.
FCA is certain that they can sell all the Wranglers they can make without going to a diesel engine. What they don't want to see is that the competition is hard at work on bringing diesel engines to their products. Korean, Chinese, going to show up with diesel engines. Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, and yes, Dodge pickups all have diesel engines. Anyone every see a Toyota out on the trail? Sounds improbable I know, but we may even see a British diesel. Defender anyone?
Personally I love my Jeep, but diesel torque would make me love it more. Soon.
Any factory folks reading the forum?

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds awesome and we need it but, I never buy the Gen 1 of anything...
Lets see how it preforms.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Definition of Horror: A self-driving Jeep Wrangler from FCA :eek:

Slightly less frightening will be a more complex platform offering than we have now.
As for "waiting" for the arrival of a diesal Wrangler - I couldn't care less but I know many are excited. I just hope they don't start the Bouncey-House Party anytime soon.
Those things can Kill 'ya.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Diesel

What Diesel are they putting in the export Wranglers? Is it something they could use here or would they have to develope a different Diesel for domestic wranglers?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
There is a 3.0 L V6 Diesel in the inventory, as we speak that puts out 240Hp/420Tq and gets 21/29mpg

Motor exists now.

Can you imagine a Wrangler with that kind of power.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a 3.0 L V6 Diesel in the inventory, as we speak that puts out 240Hp/420Tq and gets 21/29mpg Motor exists now. Can you imagine a Wrangler with that kind of power.
Yes. But I bet it doesn't and can't meet the stricter diesel emission tests we have in the U. S. Meeting emissions may require an entire different design.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts