Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have wanted to buy a Wrangler with a manual transmission. In my looking I've found a '89 YJ converted to a 4BT Cummins diesel, AX-15 trans. Seems like what I always really wanted - a diesel Wrangler.

Problems I see. Some rust in front of the rear wheel wells. Rust on the driver side floorboards. There is oil on the underside of the tub above the transfer. There is oil around where the oil pan mates to the block. Tachometer doesn't work due to needing to be switched over for a diesel vice a gasser. Some other older vehicle dings and dents. It drives well other than being a little loud for my taste.

Seller/guy that did the conversion seems very knowledgable-he is a field rep for Caterpillar and seems like a very straight shooter.

Asking price is $10,500.

What think you?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and say that you should pass on that. While the diesel swap is expensive and time consuming, that kind of price range for the condition of everything I would expect to be in top condition, not something that sounds more like a WIP.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The 4BT swap is cool. Seems to have gained popularity. Its expensive also. I would guess the motor stuff alone would be $3k - $4k but personally I don't understand it. They are heavier, some pickup in torque and marginal if any pickup in mpg. Plus the upkeep is more.

Based on your description it should like they took a $3000 YJ and put a 4BT in it. Rust is something you will have to deal with on a jeep but for $10k you can get a pretty nice rig. You are knocking on the door to a high mileage TJ rubicon.

So IMO unless you are hung up on a 4BT I would keep looking. Even if you are wanting a diesel I think there is more bang for your buck out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to go ahead and say that you should pass on that. While the diesel swap is expensive and time consuming, that kind of price range for the condition of everything I would expect to be in top condition, not something that sounds more like a WIP.
Thanks. That's why I asked:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 4BT swap is cool. Seems to have gained popularity. Its expensive also. I would guess the motor stuff alone would be $3k - $4k but personally I don't understand it. They are heavier, some pickup in torque and marginal if any pickup in mpg. Plus the upkeep is more.

Based on your description it should like they took a $3000 YJ and put a 4BT in it. Rust is something you will have to deal with on a jeep but for $10k you can get a pretty nice rig. You are knocking on the door to a high mileage TJ rubicon.

So IMO unless you are hung up on a 4BT I would keep looking. Even if you are wanting a diesel I think there is more bang for your buck out there.

Thoughts on what it should be worth? The diesel is attractive for a number of reasons among them is I'd like to do some long distance desert 4x4 trips and I'm a lot more comfortable carrying spare diesel than spare gas. Maybe I'm being too cautious though.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Thoughts on what it should be worth? The diesel is attractive for a number of reasons among them is I'd like to do some long distance desert 4x4 trips and I'm a lot more comfortable carrying spare diesel than spare gas. Maybe I'm being too cautious though.
I don't know to be honest. I can understand not wanting to carry any more gas than necessary but I would want a nice rig instead of a rusty one. Repairing rust sucks...trust me. It sux big.

There are so many combo's, mods and jeeps built different ways on different size tires out ther for 10k you could look for days and never seen the same one. My suggestion is to research, research and then research some more.

rust is worth nothing honestly...you can find engines and trannys for 2500 or less if you look around.
Did I say repairing rust sux.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does it have upgraded axles????

The 4bt engine on a jeep gets around 27 33 mpg on the highway well my friends does.

If it doesn't have upgraded axles I wouldn't get it.

If it does I would.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The torque the engine puts out is more than enough for you to feather foot the gas. Makes for a very fuel efficient setup, I've heard as much as 35mpg.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It can be fuel efficient all it wants, but if its a rusty hunk of shit, its a rusty hunk of shit!

What that Jeep sounds like is a CAT guys pet project that he got into lost interest or didn't want to sink any more money into it. $10k is way too much, maybe $5k but with the rust issues and leaking oil your looking at a headache. Oh not to mention repairs on diesels are pricey!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts