Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12' Unlimited with 35's (35x12.5x17) and a Fox air lift. Has anyone gone down to 255's (255x75x17) and measured the loss in differential clearance or vice versa, moved up to 35's and measured the difference?

I'm thinking about using the 255's around town and then swapping in the 35's when I hit the trails/rocks. Will I find a suspension height that accomodates both?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
So a 255/75 r17 is about 32" tall so you are looking at a 3" tire difference. But only half of that is on the bottom so your ground clearance would be changed by about 1.5".

·
Registered
640 Posts
Suspension lift shouldn't change diff height above ground at all, as far as I can see. Maybe I'm overlooking something - but the only thing that looks like it has any impact on diff is inflated tire radius (not diameter, as the top side of the tire above the hub doesn't impact diff height.)

Why would 'suspension life capable of accommodating 35" tires' have any problem with 32" (well, a little less on the stock tires, honestly, more like 31.5") tires? Visually you would have a bit 'extra' gap between the tire and the fender flare, but that's visual not functional.

Here is another wrinkle for you - what is the diff clearance with 35" tire being aired down vs 32" inflated to road pressure?

Also - if you have dedicated 35" tires for the rocks - why do you care about diff clearance for pavement with the stock 32" tires?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys.

Ivory, great question regarding my concern on stock. My thought was to possibly use the stock tires for trails and the 35's for rocks, etc. Just wanted to know what I'm giving up in the trade off for driveability, noise, mileage.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts