Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the D30 and D35, and want to protect them... I see aftermarket diff covers but also sliders... which would be better I would think the sliders, but it seems that more companies make the covers...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Either protects just fine, if you're still around stock height you just need to make sure there will be adequate clearance between your trac bar and the cover you want to run (a reason why some run the bolt-on skids instead of the full covers). I know there is a problem with after market trac bars not clearing the diff cover on low lift vehicles, but I'm not sure if that problem extends to stock trac bars. Here is a link with some more info.

tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com

Hopefully someone with more info on the subject will chime in.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either protects just fine, if you're still around stock height you just need to make sure there will be adequate clearance between your trac bar and the cover you want to run (a reason why some run the bolt-on skids instead of the full covers). I know there is a problem with after market trac bars not clearing the diff cover on low lift vehicles, but I'm not sure if that problem extends to stock trac bars. Here is a link with some more info.

tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com

Hopefully someone with more info on the subject will chime in.
That's interesting... I'm running stock trac bar and 2" lift, stock shocks, 2" bumpstops... I don't think that will be a problem for me. Also, I read some of that thread you linked (though its like 51 pages, so I didn't read all of it) and it seems that the problem lies more in aftermarket trac bars, not in the specific diff cover...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yep typically has a bit more to do with the trac bar, but it's something you need to keep in mind. Some covers are quite large, and may cause issues in the future if you end up needing an adjustable trac bar and still have a low amount lift.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have Undercover Fabworks diff covers for my D30 and Ford 8.8. (adj track bar, 4" lift) His covers are not bigger then stock, but are very beefy. I also have Smittybilt Sliders. I like them both. IMO I would think the diff covers would offer you more protection at this point for wheeling.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
with how tight the trails are in the northeast sliders with steps or kickers are a much better investment. you can use them to keep you off trees and such. the stock dana 30 cover is stout for what it is. if you can find some one selling stock covers you can cut them in half and make your own guards for next to nothing as well

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with how tight the trails are in the northeast sliders with steps or kickers are a much better investment. you can use them to keep you off trees and such. the stock dana 30 cover is stout for what it is. if you can find some one selling stock covers you can cut them in half and make your own guards for next to nothing as well
What do you mean by "steps or kickers?"

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
yep, with out them you can end up with the body of the rig into trees. my warns do not have a step or kicker and got twisted up in trees last time i had it out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I definitely want to get sliders, but I'm going to be taking a welding class next semester, and hopefully I'll be able to make them... I think diff protection would be a little more difficult to make, but maybe I'm wrong

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
unless your running into rocks a higher speeds you don't need to go crazy with the diff protection.

on the front 30 you can cut a stock cover in half and bolt it to the lower section and create a nice added piece of protection to the area you'll hit

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unless your running into rocks a higher speeds you don't need to go crazy with the diff protection.

on the front 30 you can cut a stock cover in half and bolt it to the lower section and create a nice added piece of protection to the area you'll hit
Okay, so its not really something I need to worry about I guess... I'll focus on other skids then, like oil pan and tummy tuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts