Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, will be doing a 60k service on my 04 unlimited (not rubicon) and while the diff covers are off i would like to replace them. i like the look of the mopar performance but they list as 2007-2017 model years. does any one know if they will fit ? or is there something else i should be looking at ? thanks for any input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you wheel it or is this a street Jeep? ruffstuff makes some unbelievable covers for those who abuse their diffs on the rocks.
not to make it sound like a pavement queen but where i live it will not see any hard core off roading. a dirt road once in while. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
not to make it sound like a pavement queen but where i live it will not see any hard core off roading. a dirt road once in while. thanks for the input.
Why not stick with stock then?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Dana 44 on your LJ is different than the dana 44 on the jk but mostly in axle sizes etc.. the pumpkin part pretty much is the same so the cover will fit, There are a lot of covers to consider, if you are going purely on looks I was always found of poison spider's cover and the ruffstuff 4x4 has a madmax no messing around look to it and it seriously is no joke, I wish I went with one of those rather than the Solid industries I went with.. I had to return my first one due to being completely off center (see pics) and the second one was only a little better and I had to make it fit.. I might still replace it with a ruffstuff and give the Solid to a friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
be aware of diff cover vs track bar clearance issues. you can run into major problems, such as busting the track bar in half...which results in a complete loss of steering.

for off-road and street use, most will suggest a Barnett diff cover and a full bump check with the springs removed. the barnett is a stock cover with a big skid plate welded to it.

I've been through a couple aftermarket diff covers, and have cycled my suspension to full bump more times than I can could. My track bar is custom to clear the diff better. My aftermarket diff cover has been heavily modified to clear - I cut & grinded the face in half and welded the giant hole closed to change the shape of the cover so it would clear.

So...if you don't off-road, stick with stock covers...IMHO.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
You can get stock covers that are somewhat thicker by looking at salvage yard on earlier year XJ for front and also if off HP have higher fill plug which is nice if lifted and rotated with adjustable control arms

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts