Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,893 Posts
All Jk rubicons are the same with the exception of recons have up graded diff covers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Depends on if it's a sport or Rubicon. The sport has different front and rear for Rubicon are the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rubicon is the same front and rear. Dana 44 diff covers will work. I'd recommend Poison Sypder or Metalcloak. Cheap but effective insurance for your diffs.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
All Jk rubicons are the same with the exception of recons have up graded diff covers.
The factory diff covers on my 2014 Rubicon were different front & rear. They have different fill plug locations.

Some covers, like the AEV ones, actually take this into account.

·
Super Moderator
22,893 Posts
The factory diff covers on my 2014 Rubicon were different front & rear. They have different fill plug locations.

Some covers, like the AEV ones, actually take this into account.
I misread his post I thought he was asking if the 2017 covers were any different then any other year not front to back.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a '15 JKUR. Replaced with ruffstuff diff covers, both are the same. They are 3/8" thick, welded on both sides. Front has kissed many rocks, no leaks. Lifetime guarantee.

Video on how they are made

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Aftermarket covers seem to be the same, which makes filling with the correct amount of fluid trickier. The factory covers are different due to fill hole location.

Front Dana44 capacity: 2.7 pints (1.35 quarts, 43.2 oz)
Rear Dana44 capacity: 4.75 pints (2.375 quarts, 76 oz)

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jeep-knowledge-center/jk-fluid-capacities/

2015 rubicon covers:

Just curious - is the fill hole location different purely to allow for more oil in the rear diff? Why would it need that if the rest is the same?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The front and rear axle are not the same.

The front axle seals are located in the differential housing. The outer axle bearings are sealed units that mount to the knuckle/spindle that's attached to the axle tube by ball joints.

The rear axle seals are at the ends of the axle tubes. The outer bearings in the ends of the axle tubes are bathed in the same gear oil as the rear differential. I think the gear oil is supposed to be about 1/4" deep in the rear axle tubes.

The main difference is the front axle is a steering axle with u-joints at the ends of the axles. That's why the front takes less gear oil.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It would be interesting to see the relative pinion angle front and rear. If you tip the pinion up, the fill hole drops down. That could be why the rear has a higher fill plug location.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts