Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to change the diff fluid but I have a sloped driveway, about 1-2" per foot max. I was wondering if anyone knows how level I need to be or what direction I should be pointed to do this on a sloped driveway? My main concern is being able to get enough back in. It's probably not enough to worry about but thought I would throw it out there to see what anyone else has seen.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I'm getting ready to change the diff fluid but I have a sloped driveway, about 1-2" per foot max. I was wondering if anyone knows how level I need to be or what direction I should be pointed to do this on a sloped driveway? My main concern is being able to get enough back in. It's probably not enough to worry about but thought I would throw it out there to see what anyone else has seen.

Obviously have the drain plug pointed downward, unless you are going to remove the covers and drain it completely.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to remove the covers, so I was thinking If I have it pointed upward and remove the covers then all I need to worry about is overfill since the fill hole will be slightly higher, unless I pre-measure the amount.
Thanks for the link daggo.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think you are overthinking this. You should just pull the plug. You have a 2010 and things are not going to be that bad. Drain and refill on reasonably flat ground. Dont measure - that leads to screwups, it'll flow out the fill hole when it's overfilled. Don't overtighten the drain or fill plugs.

Edit, look at the fluid. If there is a light chocolate milk color settling to the top - that's an indication of moisture. If so, fill, run, and change a second time. Usually only happens when a breather is submerged in water.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Read what he wrote. He doesn't have flat ground to work with. Pulling the covers is the only way to completely drain them, flat ground or not.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi Dagg,

I read what he wrote. I have also turned a wrench more than you. When he talks about using a measuring cup for fill, well I'm a bit suspect. Hence, not pull the cover, worry about a gasket or silicone, or screwing up the torque settings. It's a 2010, so likely doesn't need a fluid change. Yes I can read a manual, and have replaced a lot of gear fluid and installed my share of lockers - hence the red flags came up.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Whoa! That changes everything! I had no idea you've "turned a wrench" more than me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I've had my covers off enough, now I always drive for 15 minutes to warm up the diff's and then park front end first, on MY SLOPED DRIVEWAY/remove drain plug--go have some coffee, come back, reinstall drain plug, then fill with Valvoline 75W-140--having the (fill plug) higher, allows me to put in 2/3 more OZs of fluid, then back up the slope and do the same with the rear diff-

I'd like to remove the covers, so I was thinking If I have it pointed upward and remove the covers then all I need to worry about is overfill since the fill hole will be slightly higher, unless I pre-measure the amount.
Thanks for the link daggo.
Keepyerpowderdry

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
863 Posts
You could go ether way really. If you are going to remove the cover. You'll have to clean the cover & the diff area good. Apply the silicon & tighten the bolts. Torque measurement is recommended. But like many tech, you can hand tighten it & be good.

Just make sure you save the old fluid if you do it that way. You'll want to put back the same amount that came out. So, yes, you'll have to measure how much old fluid came ok.

Or, if you have a friend or know of an area that has a flat level surface. Go there & perform the change. That way, you'll just remove the drain plug, if there is one, & the fill plug. Less work!

Or if you have a tool that will suck the fluid out of there from the fill plug. It doesn't matter how the vehicle is. Usually these tools have measurement markings on the reservoir the fluid goes to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
And of course always loosen the fill plug first.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just drive to a parking lot somewhere. If you aren't pulling the cover it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts