Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is an easy job but still have a few questions for changing the fluid on my front and rear differentials on my Dana 35.
1. Anyone know what size bolts are on the covers.
2. How much fluid should I need for the 2 differentials.
3. What gear oil and weight should I use.
4. Planning on painting the covers what is the best type of paint for this.

Thanks Nick

·
Registered
304 Posts
The bolts on the cover should be 1/2 or 13mm. I think I used just over 2 quarts in each diff. Just fill till it runs out. 5 quarts should be more then enough for both. Any weight will be fine. If you live in a colder climate maybe a little thinner gear oil like a 75w90. If you want to paint them you can probably use a can of high temp engine paint. If you can sand blast it it may help the paint to stick long term.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1. Anyone know what size bolts are on the covers. - 13mm
2. How much fluid should I need for the 2 differentials - 4 quarts (you will have some spare)
3. What gear oil and weight should I use - 80W140 mineral oil. Not much more expensive than 80W90 and mineral absorbs more heat from the gears than synthetic.
4. Planning on painting the covers what is the best type of paint for this - Use some high heat paint or have them powdercoated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts