Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those jump first then ask later type of things. I stopped by the auto parts store on my way home and picked up some diff fluid so I could change it out. Told them what I was looking for and that I wanted synthetic.

Just did the change and then I looked in my OM. The weight I just used doesn't match the OM. Is this because it is synthetic? Is what I used okay on a 2012?

Here is a pic:

Thx!

·
Retired Moderator
100,642 Posts
Will 75W-90 synthetic work O.K. in your diffs, yes.
The problem is, while under warranty, I would only use oils and viscosities that are approved in your manual. Don't give your Dealer a out in case you have a failure.:nonono::nonono::nonono:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will 75W-90 synthetic work O.K. in your diffs, yes.
The problem is, while under warranty, I would only use oils and viscosities that are approved in your manual. Don't give your Dealer a out in case you have a failure.:nonono::nonono::nonono:
Thank you. When you say "OK" is it less than optimal in your opinion warranty aside? I've already regeared so the diff/gear part of my warranty is likely a mute point anyway.

·
Retired Moderator
100,642 Posts
Thank you. When you say "OK" is it less than optimal in your opinion warranty aside? I've already regeared so the diff/gear part of my warranty is likely a mute point anyway.
Mobile 1 synthetic is a quality oil, and the viscosity equally good.......:thumb:
You will be just fine, enjoy your ride...........;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect! Thanks for the replies and help!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I just did psc bombshell diff covers front and rear and went with valvoline conventional 80-90. I love valvoline products and conventional is actually quieter in axles too. Believe it or dont. Also just to throw it out there curry had a problem running synthetic oils and the way they transferred heat. And 8 bucks a quart compared to 20 is good in my book lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've been running the Mobil 1 in a Dana 44 equipped crew cab pickup since 05. It weighs almost a ton more than the Jeep and runs loaded up a lot, absolutely no problems. I don't think you'll have a problem.

The warranty thing is funny. Whats the dealership going to do, taste test it? Whatever you put in there turns black within a couple days and looks/smells like rank used oil. Probably going to have metal shavings and hunks of gear in it if you actually need the warranty, too. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts