Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2014 Sahara JKU last year. Fell victim to the prepay oil changes. This past weekend, I went to the dealership for my 10K change and this dude wrote up my diff fluid. Said it needs immediate attention. I live in CO and it is still stock, I take easy to moderate trails in the mountains and I also hit the occasional mud and water hole. If I go and change the fluid myself is my warranty voided? Anyway, I'm going to another dealership for a second opinion in the morning before I change it at Ft Carson.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I would recommend you simply change it yourself. Extremely easy to do. Unscrew the drin plug, let it drain, wipe any metallic residue off the drain plug, reinstall the plug and tighten with a torque wrench if you have one, remove the fill plug and refill with the appropriate fluid until the fluid runs out the fill plug. Install and tighten the fill plug. Clean up and check for leaks.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
IMO it's easy to get water in the rear axle, vent hose is in an awful place. So not surprised.
Do it yourself. Easy, easy job. No warranty issues.
Also check your manual for proper fluid type for your axle (trac-Lok requires an additive) and weight (80w-90 normal, 75w-140 towing) Rear axle.

Front gets 80w-90

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Why didnt they fix the problem? My 2010 went into the dealer a couple months ago for other reasons, tech saw that the seal was bad. While it was there, they changed the fluid and resealed it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What was so horribly wrong that it needed immediate attention, did he say the fluid was black or some other horse crap.
My guess is it's just another dealer trying to steel $300+ from you, there are many on this board that have been told the exact same thing only to find its a money grab scam.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didnt they fix the problem? My 2010 went into the dealer a couple months ago for other reasons, tech saw that the seal was bad. While it was there, they changed the fluid and resealed it under warranty.
The tech gave me the service mangers card for me to make another appointment. After speaking to him, he said although I had an appointment. It was for quick lube and there were no techs available. Then with a smile he said, give me call if you want to make another appointment.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
How did they even KNOW that there was a problem? Only way I know of to check the diff fluid is to actually drain it.

Voting "dealer wants to sucker a customer out of money"

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I would ask them why it needed immediate attention and then tell them the manual only calls for inspection at the first 20,000 then every 40,000 and does not actually require it be changed. I would tell them you want to submit a sample to blackstone lab and if blackstone lab says it needs to be changed then you will do it, if blackstone lab says it is fine then tell them you want $100 for their dishonesty.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The differential fluid change cost about $27 to do it yourself and it is about as difficult as changing the engine oil. Just change the gear lube yourself and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Really? Thats the most key board warrior thing I have read this month.
key board warrior.....yea I like that kinda like a ninja lol.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,943 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you my fellow Jeepers, I am changing it myself. The auto hobby shop has everything I will need for the change.....going with Mobil 1 and to be on the safe side I'm doing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anybody have the torque figure(s) on the f/r diff & transfer case bolts? Frustrating that the owner's manual doesn't have them. I've been using 20 ft/lbs on the engine drain bolt..

Thanks.

Commo

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Anybody have the torque figure(s) on the f/r diff & transfer case bolts? Frustrating that the owner's manual doesn't have them. I've been using 20 ft/lbs on the engine drain bolt..

Thanks.

Commo
that is what I used for diffs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts