Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the oil in my diffs.I have 75-90 full synthetic just laying around can I use this instead of 80w-90?:confused:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Absolutely, that will work perfectly well. Our differentials aren't all that fussy about their viscosities anyway, and your 75W-90 is so close to 80W-90 that the difference is negligible. :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool.:D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No to steal the thread, but my rear diff (D35) has a factory limited slip and gets some type of additive. Anyone know what the additive is and where to get it?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
most fluids already come with the addetive already in, but you can get it at any marjor parts store, should be right next to the gear oil.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
most fluids already come with the addetive already in, but you can get it at any marjor parts store, should be right next to the gear oil.
He would have a hard time finding a gear lube on the store shelves that didn't already have the additive.

To confirm the additive's presence, look on the back label for something like "Compatible with limited slip differentials". If it has that on the label, don't add any more additive. :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just cracked open my d35 and the oil was the color of the road.:eek: The first owner wasn't very nice to the diff's:mad: .There is a layer of black all over the carrier and sludge in the bottom.:(

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil also smelt burnt.:eek:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i just did and I sand blasted the cover and i'm painting it now.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts