Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having managed to get stuck in the recent snow in CT I realized that my '97 TJ Sport does not have a diff lock. New to Jeeps and 4 x 4's.

Is there are low cost and simple way to convert or add this capability to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Adding a locker is expensive in my eyes. But im Broke :) Labor is what really get you...Depends what brand, front, rear or both.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Yeah, it's called buy a locker;)

However, it's not a good idea to install lockers in places that see a lot of snow/ice (when used as a daily driver)...unless they're selectable lockers (ie ARB Air Lockers) and those are nowhere near cheap. Check out Detroit TrueTracs. They are gear-based limited slip differentials and while not super cheap, will last for quite some time, will not cause any handling problems in snow/ice on the road, and will solve all your traction needs provided your tires are in contact with the ground.

Edit: You'd be looking at around $400-500 per axle plus installation costs which could run up to another $1000.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
A locker in snow with a Wrangler is not a good idea. IMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CTTJowner said:
Having managed to get stuck in the recent snow in CT I realized that my '97 TJ Sport does not have a diff lock. New to Jeeps and 4 x 4's.

Is there are low cost and simple way to convert or add this capability to it?

Thanks
Thanks - really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could Linclon Lock it :D Only cost a couple welds but probably not a good idea.

I would look at tires first. Lockers are great but in the snow good tires are whats needed. I like my KM2s good for everything but ice in my experiance but there are numerous tires out there that are comparable.

Other than that its just good driving that will keep you moving and not stuck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My TJ has a rear locker and when I drove it in the snow the first time I can see what everyone it talking about. It is a 100% different feel.

Luke

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why not just throw it into 4wd? That's what I did with my 98 tj... Even to just get out of a parking spot on the street...i'm in ny and used it a few times with this last snow storm..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Logirl said:
Why not just throw it into 4wd? That's what I did with my 98 tj... Even to just get out of a parking spot on the street...i'm in ny and used it a few times with this last snow storm..
Tried that and with low range as well but was not going anywhere. To be fair it was over a foot deep and I should never have tried that spot in the first place.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tire chains will do more cheaper than any locker in snow. Good luck :wavey:

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Doesn't work if you are already stuck

·
Registered
811 Posts
Snow tires make a huge difference, but judicious choice of A/T or M/T tires and some driving experience in snow can get you in and out of a lot. Snow tires and a rear L/S is great on any reasonable snow-covered road, and the vehicle is still drivable for everyday use.

·
Registered
214 Posts
OK so why are people saying lockers are no good in the snow? I have an 05 wrangler but not sure if it has the limited slip rear end can someone help me out? its the stock dana 35. I fould a detroit ez locker for sale for like 150 any inputs on this locker? my jeep is my daily driver but only like 3 miles to and from work but occasional light 4 wheelin is this locker a good buy and worth it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya it's all about tires in the snow I have 33x10.50x15's BFG's with no lockers or limited slips. Driving in a foot or more snow with the 2.4 4 cyl. And haven't got stuck yet this year

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
OK so why are people saying lockers are no good in the snow? I have an 05 wrangler but not sure if it has the limited slip rear end can someone help me out? its the stock dana 35. I fould a detroit ez locker for sale for like 150 any inputs on this locker? my jeep is my daily driver but only like 3 miles to and from work but occasional light 4 wheelin is this locker a good buy and worth it?
It's a great buy if you like broken axle shafts...Dana 35 + locker = too much for a D35 to handle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
After today's driving in 12" of snow I can tell ya right now Lockers suck in the snow. Just a bit of throttle and your kissing your a$$.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts